HELP !!! - Deep scan of a drive recovered large 'flv' files

MetaTron56

I accidentally opted Win 10 Pro (32-bit) re-installation that erased the data drives. Right after Win 10 was re-installed I ran Recuva to recover these files and folders. Normal scan revealed no files but deep scan recovered 4 larger "0000x.flv" files anywhere from 92MB to 1.13GB in size. This is from a work pc so there were no videos, pictures, or music files in the drive; there were only applications, data, MS Office, pdf, etc. types of files. So I was surprised to find flv files were recovered, because I thought flv is typically a video file.

Is there a way to work with the recovered flv files and somehow covert them to the files I had in the drive? What should I do please? 5af453dd8d7f5_Recuvadeepscanresult.thumb.jpg.a2e12b1176ebe355aac5c03bfbe89e3f.jpg

• Moderators

In a deep scan Recuva looks for a known file header, and determines the file type from that. It must have found four flv file headers. I've no idea how it determines the file size, possibly reads the following clusters until another known file header is found. Or they might just be big flv files. Why not play them to see what they contain, but don't blame me if you get sacked.

There's no way to 'convert' these, they are flv headers. I don't think you'll get any further with Recuva.

Thank you for your reply. As I indicted in my OP I kept no audio or video files that I know of and I highly doubt they are a playable just by looking at the size alone. 

If this is all Recuva can do to recover my files, do you have any alternate suggestions? 

• Moderators

I suppose it is possible for a random set of characters to mimic an flv header, but four times is a bit of a coincidence.

You can of course try whatever software you choose, but I think you need professional help, or at least someone knowledgeable who can look at your disk in greater depth than we have here.

• 2 years later...