Go back to cleaner 5.41

• Moderators

You can stick with an older version, it just won't clean everything 'junk' that new browser versions and Windows versions save. (Because they change what and where they save things).

Remember that this is a junk cleaner not an anti-malware.

CCleaner cleans unneeded temporary files and other junk NOT viruses.

You need an anti-virus /anti-malware for that.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators
23 hours ago, nukecad said:

You can stick with an older version, it just won't clean everything 'junk' that new browser versions and Windows versions save. (Because they change what and where they save things).

Your question was more or less already answered by nukecad, which I've quoted above.

• Moderators

Yes you can update Chrome.

as to cc versions and updates, there is no Yes or No answer.
Yes you can stay on v5.41 but any new cleaning rules, locations etc won’t be covered by your current, old version.

for example, I’m still on v5.40 as the newer versions have had issues or features I don’t want/need.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Guest Stephen CCleaner

CCleaner cleans Windows, web browsers and other applications. Those other products change over time; cookies, preferences and other bits of data get moved around or may stored in a different format. We update CCleaner every month to ensure we are always cleaning what you want us to clean, and we are not cleaning anything you want to keep. CCleaner as a product has been maintained with free monthly updates for almost a decade (since July 2008).

If you choose not to get the latest updates for CCleaner and you use an old version to clean your system, you risk losing data that may be important to you, and potentially even breaking the software on your PC. We strongly recommend getting the latest updates. The free version of CCleaner will always tell you when an update is available. The paid version can update itself automatically.

Ultimately, the choice is yours. But it is important you make that choice with full understanding of the risks involved.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Stephen Piriform said:

CCleaner as a product has been maintained with free monthly updates for almost a decade (since July 2008).

Don't want to step on any toes but it's longer than that, since 2004 in the early days of CCleaner (at least 2004 when it was becoming very popular). I just realized I've been on here nearly 14 years.:o

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Andavari said:

I just realized I've been on here nearly 14 years.:o

Comes as a shock doesn't it?

I realised earlier this year that I'd been moderating (elsewhere) since 2008, so must have been a member there (for a couple of years) before that.
(Changed my username when I started modding and can't track it back without admin permissions).

Makes you wonder who was the first ever moderator? Tim Berners Lee must have shouted at a few colleagues, but the internet was going before the WWW.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I almost always use the most updated versions but lately the updates bring problems. 5.41 doesn't clean I.E. 11 history very well I have to untick the history in ccleaner or the scan takes forever. Version 5.42 has problems with chrome and the last scan I ran on it it took 5 minutes. So I hope 5.43 takes care of both problems.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jengr2015 said:

5.41 doesn't clean I.E. 11 history very well I have to untick the history in ccleaner or the scan takes forever..

According to what people have posted with IE and Edge the cleaning still takes a long time to complete.

7 hours ago, nukecad said:

Makes you wonder who was the first ever moderator?

I would think the term, name, etc., would have come from some other field perhaps court, law, etc., then the Internet just borrowed it as most things go.

• Moderators

Well the etymology is latin so it goes back a while.

It's used in a few different contexts now, even nuclear engineering.