How do stop Ccleaner from deleting Internet History

Maurice Colley

I use Windows 10 as my OS and Google Chrome as my web browser. I prefer not to delete Internet History as I find it a quick way to access regularly used websites and I have unchecked it. However Ccleaner seems to want to do it anyway. Chrome is not mentioned in the Cleaner items and I don't know what to do about that either. 

• Moderators

From what you say there then I suspect that the 'Internet History' you have unchecked is  the one for the Edge browser.

I say that because of your statement that " Chrome is not mentioned in the Cleaner items"  - so how can you be unticking Chrome's history?

If you have Chrome installed then it will be listed in CCleaner, I suspect that you are just looking in the wrong place.

You are looking at the Windows Tab, (which shows Edge and Internet Explorer browsers), you need to click on the Applications tab where you will see Chrome, Firefox, or whatever other browser you have installed.

PS. You should be aware that other have reported problems with cleaning Chrome using CCleaner v5.42, for them it is cleaning too much.
It seems to be affecting those with Kaspersky anti virus, there are various posts about this on the forum.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks a lot nukecad, problem solved. I don't use Kaspersky. Would you mind telling me whether I should be concerned about the cleaning problems and Chrome, are there any other alternatives such as a different version of CCleaner? I'm just a basic internet user, not aware of any problems myself. I'm not very tech savvy and appreciate any advice.    

• Moderators

I don't use Chrome myself but there have been some recent threads here about the latest CC version crashing chrome.

It does seem to be affecting those who use Kaspersky.
It's been reported today that an update to Kaspersky has stopped the crashing, suggesting that it was a problem with Kaspersky.

There is occasionally a problem when Chrome (and/or Firefox, and/or other browsers) change where they store certain settings, which then get cleaned when you weren't expecting it.
This affects all cleaning program until the cleaner developers can work out what has been changed and issue an update.
It's just one of those things, until the browser developers start telling everyone just what they are going to change then it will happen occasionally.
(It does seems to happen more with Chrome than Firefox, Edge, or ie., maybe because Chrome likes to change things internally a lot?)
You just have to watch it when you first clean after your browser has had an update.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Chrome getting it's settings deleted and/or corrupted was something introduced into CC v5.42 and isn't related to Kaspersky from what I've read on the forum. Based upon that if using CC v5.42 I would recommend that you do not let it clean Chrome until they release a fixed version of CCleaner. Alternatively you can also downgrade to CCleaner v5.40.6411 if you want to clean Chrome without any possibility of CCleaner corrupting your Chrome profile (old versions of CCleaner are listed here on FileHippo.com on the right side of the page).

The other issue, the crashing problem on Windows 10 (and maybe other OSes), is because people with Kaspersky Antivirus products installed need to have an update installed from Kaspersky as stated here by Stephen.

So they're separate issues.