Please don't turn CCleaner into malware

chadj

I went to update CCleaner today and I saw some disturbing things:

1. The download page on FileHippo had numerous ads with download buttons. It took some searching to fine the real download button. They are trying to trick people into installing malware and this practice should not be tolerated.

2. When I ran the install program the Avast antivirus option was checked by default. This is easy to miss and I clicked install before I noticed it. Installing something without an explicit action is deceptive.

I am hoping that Piriform does not go down the malware black hole and lose the confidence of their users.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer to use CCleaner before visiting certain sites to take advantage of quickly deleting tracking cookies. Now, since Norton blocks your updates, the only option seems to be to run Norton, which takes a prohibitively long time. 

1. Please discontinue relaying update requests to File Hippo! F.H. tries hard to sneak in unwanted software with every attempt to update CCleaner, some of which may be malware.!

File Hippo acts like malware!

2. Would it be possible for you to fix CCleaner so that it won't be blocked by Norton? Norton Internet Security currently blocks installation of CC updates, whether from File Hippo or direct from Piriform, as potential malware.

Edited by illumin8or
Duplication of comment.

• Moderators

The blocking of the installation when using the Standard build is typically caused by 3rd party software that's included from Google. That's known to trigger some antivirus software. An easy way around that is to wait 1 to 2 weeks for the Slim build to be released, or alternatively use the portable ZIP build which has no installer.

--------------------

As for FileHippo's ad strategy it's been complained about before on here, but there's nothing this forum can do about it. One solution for any software product is to just download directly from the official product website, which in this case for CCleaner is located at: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds