Cannot delete pictures

rpcrowe

• Moderators

You could run Defraggler to defrag free space. If you're not a Defraggler user then see how to in the documentation. Then rerun the wipe free space Are you running Drive Wiper?). If you do this then please let me know the results, as it will test a theory of mine.

Alternatively run Recuva deep scan then select all/overwrite selected (one pass). This will still leave very small files (under 700 bytes) untouched, as they are held in the MFT. This is a bit of a sledgehammer solution.

On 4/15/2018 at 12:33, Augeas said:

You could run Defraggler to defrag free space. If you're not a Defraggler user then see how to in the documentation. Then rerun the wipe free space Are you running Drive Wiper?). If you do this then please let me know the results, as it will test a theory of mine.

Alternatively run Recuva deep scan then select all/overwrite selected (one pass). This will still leave very small files (under 700 bytes) untouched, as they are held in the MFT. This is a bit of a sledgehammer solution.

Thanks  I will let you know

I have run Defraggler a couple of times  then Drive wiper many times then recu and photos still there cant delete them used the feature on RECU to overwrite files ram many times pictures still there what is up with this product please help

I have run Defraggler a couple of times  then Drive wiper many times then recu and photos still there cant delete them used the feature on RECU to overwrite files ram many times pictures still there what is up with this product please help

• Moderators

If you overwrote the pics with Recuva as in option 2 above, and can still see the pics, then they must be either small pics held in the MFT (which Recuva can't touch) ot they are live pics that are using the clusters that the deleted files had allocated to them. Bear in mind that we don't know exactly what you are doing nor do we know exactly what Recuca does.

• 7 months later...

What is this shredder of which you speak?

I have a 32gb SD card used in a dashcam that is now full of apparently undeletable mp4 files. All the usual methods haven,t managed it (delete, format full and quick, change attributes). Copying other movies after a delete without refreshing seems to work - copied files play while others are still being copied but as soon as the copy process is finished, they vanish and the old stuff reappears. I then remembered CCs drive wiper and decided to try it. 3 passes, nearly 36 hours and the drive shows empty. Refresh and everything is back again.Its not just a table of contents thing, the files actually play.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful!

• Moderators

Maybe that 32GB SD card has some backup/recovery partition those mp4 files are restored from. The Disk Management tool built into Windows "may or may not help", however if you use it be very careful because it's too easy to accidentally select the wrong disk such as a disk installed in the computer and destroy the data on it.