Overreach

CCleaner caused a little note to appear on my screen this morning saying that I could free up a gigabyte+  by  running it. And in the left hand side of your cleaner it said I would be cleaning Internet Explorer. 
But it didn't do just Internet Explorer it also cleaned my Chrome which I didn't want to happen. It wiped out everything that I had accumulated on my Chrome app "Voice Note 2" . 
Not cool. 
I had a lot of valuable notes and information that it wiped out.  
If you're app shows on the screen it's going to be doing Internet Explorer that's what it needs to be doing and not other browsers.
Windows7,Chrome

I don't think you're paying attention to what I wrote.
If I deleted manually according to what your program indicated, I would still have deleted things on Chrome which I did not want to do. 
If it says it's deleting only Internet Explorer items, then that's all it should delete.  Manually or automatically. Not Chrome.

First of all I want to thank you for getting back to me so quickly and repeatedly. It's refreshing to not be ignored! I also thank you for giving me some tips.  

But I just want to make sure that you know my whole purpose for writing was not to get instruction or tips from you. My main reason for writing was to give a suggestion/complain to you and have that acknowledged and then passed on to the decision-makers. I hope that's what you do, please.
My point/suggestion was..... if CC is going to delete anything from chrome it needs to announce or warn that they're going to do that. The only thing  mentioned on the app was Internet Explorer, and yet it wiped out a bunch of things from chrome.  CC should mention/warn about Chrome or all browsers  so you don't delete things unexpectedly, with all the huge stress that that causes . It should warn/be mentioned/posted.  Anyway I'm done... thanks again and over and out!

• Moderators

Yes it should state that it will also clean Chrome browser, etc., however CCleaner also has to be configured beforehand by the end-user to not clean certain things. I think perhaps a combination of not configuring it completely to your liking first coupled with the automatic cleaning done by the Monitoring portion is what has caused the grief.

On a different note; I've stated in the past that it can nuke settings in Chrome extensions even though it isn't really supposed to touch them, and every now and then a topic such as yours surfaces stating it has deleted an extensions settings. The overreach as your topic title reads that we have noticed is probably "rare and not wide-spread," and without enough people complaining with examples it therefore probably isn't a priority for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stephen CCleaner

Thank you for reporting.

Andavari has also noticed a second text-to-speech extension is resetting after a clean:

Our developers will investigate.