My old'er v2.3.xx auto updated......WHY?

Hi....

The following is what I just posted on the AVAST forum.

It was suggested that I "try" here instead.....so...

I would like an explanation of why you decided to update my fully functioning old/er CCleaner version to this faded out one?

&....What gives you the right to update MY program on MY M/C?

(Please excuse my use of AVAST in the quote.)

Thank you.

I am most unhappy that my old/er version of CCleaner was automatically updated to v5.41.6446 today, after I started my PC.

Who in H$&# gave you/them the right or permission to do that?

Since CCleaner FREE, v2.3.xx does not have that ability, I take it that AVAST did the update.....

WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

&....What's with all these new settings & options & the terrible "new flat/faded look?"

If I wanted the latest version of CCleaner, I would have checked & D/L'd it myself.

How much more underhanded & intrusive are you, AVAST, going to get?

You are an Anti-Virus program....NOT an automatic updater of any of MY or anyone elses programs running on their M/C's.

I do NOT need any of the NEW features &/or options.

A "cookie" manager/cleaner that lists all/many of the sites I've been to & wants to clean them all?

What else are you scanning on MY damn M/C?

(To the AVAST Devs......Please remove the ability for your AV program to automatically check for so called, "out dated" programs on your

customers M/C's....... WITHOUT their exclusive permission.)

This is NOT the "correct" way to proceed.

BTW....I did not have AVAST set to check for any "out dated" programs.

Why did you do that AGAINST MY wishes?

I will definitely NOT be recommending AVAST to anyone.....anymore.

"NOT HAPPY.....JAN!"

• Moderators

Well this makes a change, it's usually the other way round that we get complaints about here. (CCleaner installing unwanted Avast).

This is an Avast issue not a CCleaner issue.

Avast acquired Piriform, and so CCleaner, in November 2017.

Avast has a 'hidden' programme "Avast Software Updater" built into it's anti-virus products, even the free AV.
https://www.avast.com/en-gb/f-software-updater

You can disable this software updater.
http://www.getavast.net/support/disable-software-updater

There is also another 'hidden' .exe that can push 'critical' security updates to the AV even if you have automatic updates turned off in the main programme.
(CCleaner has one of these as well now since v5.33 installer was hacked).

I'm guessing that it is the Avast Software Updater that has automatically updated your old version of CCleaner.

CCleaner v2.30 is from March 2010, so its now 8 years old.

I won't ask why you want to use an 8 year old version of CCleaner when you can have the latest for free.

If you realy want v2.30 back then its still available on Filehippo
https://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/7310/

(But don't be too surprised if your Avast immediately updates it again).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hi nukecad,

Thanks for the reply & info.

I know that AVAST acquired Piriform etc., etc.

The thing is though, that I do not use the "Avast Software Updater" or any of their so called, Features.

Just the basic top 4 are selected.

File Shield, Behaviour Shield, Mail Shield & Web Shield.

As for... "I'm guessing that it is the Avast Software Updater that has automatically updated your old version of CCleaner."

See ^, above.

&, as for the 'new look" of CCleaner...

Well, you can have that, as I much preferred the old look.

Not this pale washed out, flat UI that we're now stuck with.

Thanks for the link to the old/er version/s.

I usually keep the installer around but missed doing CCleaner v2.34.xx.

Thanks again.

Regs, DC..

AVAST-Features.jpg

• Moderators

Fair enough, I would still double check the 'Installed Components" in the software updater though.

With Avast acquiring Piriform they may have now decided to make CCleaner a priority in it and changed your preferences for you, regardless of what you previously had set.
There is another, similar, post about CCleaner free updating itself elsewhere on this forum.
I expect that if Avast have changed something we will see more of the same in the coming weeks.

As for the CCleaner UI, the new one came in with the last update to v5.41 and has caused many to complain about the dumbed down look.
https://forum.piriform.com/topic/51330-add-option-for-traditional-advanced-results-page/?page=1
Piriform have listened and have promised that we will be given the option to customise it back to the old style detailed view that many prefer. Supposedly in the next update.
(Although the icons down the left will still be 'flat' and not the older 3D style from a few years ago).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

on a side note, using an 8 year old cleaning program, it would not take into account the way all browsers have changed the way they store their cache, cookies, temp files etc.
plus changes to the registry (if you use that cleaning feature of CC) and any other changes to products.

in short, using an 8 year old cleaner on 8 year old programs would be fine but using outdated cleaning techniques on modern day software may lead to undesirable results.

just saying...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thank you, nukecad,mta,

Much appreciate the info.

To stop CCleaner from any more UN-needed updating, I've blocked it in my firewall.

As for the "New, flat" look, I'm glad that they decided to at least, give us the ability/option to revert back to the better looking UI.

My original 8 year old CCleaner was doing just fine with all my old programs.

Absolutely no need to silently update it, especially without my explicit permission to do so.

Definitely....NOT a happy camper.

Ta muchly for your comments.

Hi there hazelnut,

Many ta's for that link.

Much appreciated.

It's just a pity that AVAST took it upon themselves to do this in such a silent way & a "malware/spyware etc., etc.," like process.

Would've been nice, if us, the users, were notified beforehand.

&, to add a Scheduled Task! on MY M/C?...................Well, that beggers belief!

(NB: All those new tasks have been "fixed.")

On 30.3.2018 at 14:26, Disgruntled Customer said:

Well, you can have that, as I much preferred the old look.

Not this pale washed out, flat UI that we're now stuck with.

Thanks for the link to the old/er version/s.

I usually keep the installer around but missed doing CCleaner v2.34.xx.

@disgruntled customer

perhaps try the last version with old design -> v4.19

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

On 31.3.2018 at 16:29, Disgruntled Customer said:

As for the "New, flat" look, I'm glad that they decided to at least, give us the ability/option to revert back to the better looking UI.

no not give us back the good old gui with 3d style.

give us back only the ability to see the "old -> from v5.40 and below ages" cleaning result page without the new two funny cleaning icons with no function behind...

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 2 weeks later...