Ccleaner cleans programs that are never used -?

inojim

This pertains to any free version of Ccleaner under Windows 10.

Each time I run Ccleaner, I get reports of files cleaned from MS Edge and MS Internet Explorer.  I never use these programs, yet they accumulate a good number of files that Ccleaner tells me have been 'cleaned.'  Does this simply mean that my Firefox browser is stuffing data into file space usually used by the unused browser programs, or is something going on that shouldn't?

• Moderators

Windows and many other programs use ie/edge that's where this junk comes from.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I'm having the same problem with Internet Explorer on Windows 7. I don't use IE at all so I uninstalled all updates for it and rolled it back from IE11 to IE8. Then I went to Control Panel>Programs>Programs And Features, and clicked on Turn Windows Features On Or Off. I turned Internet Explorer 8 off and it no longer shows up anywhere on the Start>All Programs menu. As far as anyone can tell (without looking at Turn Windows Features On Or Off) I don't even have Internet Explorer on my computer. But whenever I run CCleaner, which is several times a day, there are always Internet Explorer files being deleted. The last time today there were 18 IE files. They all showed up after using the latest version of Firefox.

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE.  A. E. van Vogt.-  The Weapon Shops Of Isher.

• Moderators

IE and its libraries are embedded into the OS and cannot be totally removed.

those same folders/libraries are used by other MS products and can appear with IE similar names.
some examples are Office, Skype, Defender, OneDrive.  I've even seen third party products used pre-existing temp/system folders for their own uses since those folders are already present.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I can't figure out which program or programs are constantly creating more IE files. I guess it shouldn't bother me but I can't stop wondering what it could be. I use Bing Desktop to change my wallpaper nearly every day. I have that and a couple of Gadgets, and not many optional Windows programs, like Windows Defender running. I just don't know why anything like that would make so many files over and over again all day, every day. I got rid of the free Windows Office programs I wasn't using, like PowerPoint Viewer, awhile ago, so it's not those. I'll check Windows Features again and see if I can figure out anything.

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE.  A. E. van Vogt.-  The Weapon Shops Of Isher.

• Moderators

I won't lose too much sleep over it.
it is what it is and there's only so much you can control.
it'll be something made by MS, so even Windows itself.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Yeah, I tried turning different programs on and off and still don't have a clue. I give up. For all I know it could be my anti-spyware or media player or any of dozens of other programs.. I'll quit worrying about it as long as everything works. Thanks.