How to enable the CCleaner AUTO parameter

Andavari

• Moderators

Guide: How to enable the CCleaner /AUTO parameter

Note:

The below information is now included in the CCleaner Beginner's Guide in section "Command-line Parameters" (thanks TwistedMetal).

FAQ

Q: What is the CCleaner /AUTO parameter?

A: It allows CCleaner to automatically clean your pre-selected items that are within the large Cleaner button.

Q: Why doesn't the CCleaner GUI appear when using the /AUTO parameter?

A: The GUI doesn't appear because CCleaner runs hidden in the background to clean your pre-selected items.

Q: Does this also automatically clean the Issues?

A: No. Issues ("broken shortcuts, and registry cleaner") must be ran separately for obvious safety reasons.

The CCleaner /AUTO parameter can be used in and with:

• Batch files (.bat).
  • Shortcuts/links such as; making one on the desktop named CCleaner (Auto).
  • Via the Windows Task Scheduler.
  • From within CCleaner itself which will allow it to run at every system startup and/or logon.

This is the parameter to use in shortcuts, batch files, or in Task Scheduler (including the quotes) (three examples included):

• "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO
  • "%ProgramFiles%\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO
  • "C:\Progra~1\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO

To make it run at every system startup do the following:

1. Run CCleaner.
  2. Click Options->Settings, then tick:
    Run CCleaner when the computer starts
  3. Done, you can now close CCleaner.
    Note: This will only clean the User Profile it was enabled on.

To automatically clean All User Profiles on Windows XP (when each individual user logs onto their user profile):

1. Navigate to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
  2. Right click and create a New Shortcut and input one of the three example parameters listed above.

Since the question comes up every now and then how to make CCleaner run on shutdown I've created a batch file that allows this to happen. Note: The batch file to my knowledge will only work with Microsoft Windows XP, it wasn't tested on any other version of Windows however you can probably easily adapt/edit it to work with other Windows versions.

The download is CCleaner_Auto_Shutdown.zip and is available for download in the link listed below. The file was scanned for any virus infection before being uploaded to the CCleaner forums using Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic, and ClamWin Free Antivirus.

Download:

This needs to be pinned or added to the Beginners' Guide. Like I said before, the Beginner's Guide really needs to be updated.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...