Version 5.41 adds various cookies for AVAST

mogli

Guest Stephen CCleaner
32 minutes ago, mogli said:

After installation various new cookies for AVAST were added. Especially "ipm-provider.ff.avast.com" is re-added everytime something is cleaned.

What information are you sending to AVAST now?

Hi mogli,

TL;DR - we use it to avoid inundating you with messages you're not interested in and to improve the product experience.

We use a system from our parent company, Avast, to deliver dynamic content, such as the 'CCleaner Pro upgrade' message and the CCleaner Product Tips. When you see one of these messages, a cookie is left behind. This helps us to avoid sending you sales messages over and over again, and it also allows us to run A/B tests that help us to understand which messages are more effective. For example, we have 4 different Product Tips that are designed to help users to explore the Browser Extensions Manager. The cookies mark when someone has seen one of the variants and helps us understand which Product Tip explanation is most effective at guiding users to this feature.

We will be using the dynamic messaging system extensively in future releases to help us run tests for the UI. Just be aware that if you clean these cookies you will see certain messages with much greater frequency than if the cookie was there. For this reason these cookies have been whitelisted by default. You can manage this in the 'Cookies to Keep' list of the Options > Cookies menu.

Should we the people be able to decide what cookies we want/need or do not want/need??

"Just be aware that if you clean these cookies you will see certain messages with much greater frequency than if the cookie was there. For this reason these cookies have been whitelisted by default. You can manage this in the 'Cookies to Keep' list of the Options > Cookies menu. "

'Never Forget'
Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP
C6VTfcL.png

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Stephen Piriform said:

...we use it to avoid inundating you with messages you're not interested in and to improve the product experience.
When you see one of these messages, a cookie is left behind. This helps us to avoid sending you sales messages over and over again

I'm not having a go at you personally Stephen, but:

Quite simple - Don't send us these unwanted sales messages at all, as you say we are not interested in them, no cookies needed then.

I also regard it as underhand/sneaky that this was included in the update but there is no mention of it whatsoever in the release notes.

Adding undocumented 'features' is typical of adware/junkware - this seems to be the direction CCleaner is heading since Avast acquired it.

PS. At least I didn't get an offer of Avast with this installer, so that is one promise that has been kept - If refused once you won't see it again.
Which shows that Avast/Piriform can listen to complaints made on this forum.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I also believe that this is sneaky and does nothing to restore my confidence in this program since the debacle of last year. I remove that cookie every day and it keeps coming back. I have also noticed that there is now two CCleaner cookies as well as the original Piraform one. I am now getting Bing cookies and I never use it. How do I block Avast and other undesirable cookie setters from infiltrating my machine, short of blocking everything not whitelisted with my firewall? 

• Moderators
On 28/06/2018 at 05:05, exasse said:

Hello

Just block  CCleaner  ( IN and OUT )  in  your  firewall  ,  that's all  :D

don't forget to do both CCleaner.exe and CCleaner64.exe

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 months later...
On 14/03/2018 at 11:37, nukecad said:

I'm not having a go at you personally Stephen, but:

Quite simple - Don't send us these unwanted sales messages at all, as you say we are not interested in them, no cookies needed then.

I also regard it as underhand/sneaky that this was included in the update but there is no mention of it whatsoever in the release notes.

Adding undocumented 'features' is typical of adware/junkware - this seems to be the direction CCleaner is heading since Avast acquired it.

PS. At least I didn't get an offer of Avast with this installer, so that is one promise that has been kept - If refused once you won't see it again.
Which shows that Avast/Piriform can listen to complaints made on this forum.

Agree 300%+ I don't need any notifications ever until the Earth is Consumed by the Sun & then I'll have to have a think. Do the developers think they are dealing with Children. It's hard to believe a pay for cleanup program is planting cookies? For whatever reason? I've just blocked Piriform in my Firewall, to stop large pop-ups.

Paul

On 13/03/2018 at 21:28, hayc59 said:

Should we the people be able to decide what cookies we want/need or do not want/need??

"Just be aware that if you clean these cookies you will see certain messages with much greater frequency than if the cookie was there. For this reason these cookies have been whitelisted by default. You can manage this in the 'Cookies to Keep' list of the Options > Cookies menu. "

No you bloody well wont ! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I am using Chrome, and I recently purchased the Pro Version of Ccleaner. I purchased it because I felt guilty of using the free version for many years. Now I am being bombarded with popups telling me my system has  been cleaned. Surely systems don't need to be cleaned every five minutes, and when it is why do we need to be told, just do it and stop the annoying popup. If it doesn't stop I'll be switching back to the free version. Which is all I really need, I am a very old man (Ninety next birthday) and I only use my laptop to keep my mind active.

• Moderators

The notifications that you are getting are from 'Smart Cleaning'.
(It has more options in Pro than it does in Free, which is why you are now seeing something different from before).

It sounds as if you have the automatic cleaning limits set too low, and have it set to 'Automatically clean with notification'.

To stop the too frequent notifications you could do one or more of:

1. Set a higher limit so that it doesn't automatically clean as often,
  2. Turn off the notifications so that it cleans without notifying you,
  3. Turn off Smart Cleaning altogether.

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043