Speccy 1.31 installer flagged as malware by AVG

chrisr78

I downloaded the current Speccy installer spsetup131.exe from ccleaner.com today (19 Feb 2018) and immediately got a notification from AVG antivirus that it was infected with malware (Rootkit-gen). I reported it to AVG as a false positive but you guys may wish to double-check and maybe liaise with AVG.

• chrisr78 changed the title to Speccy 1.31 installer flagged as malware by AVG

i can not confirm it with my avg... but i have the download from 11.07.2017

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

and since AVG was taken over by Avast who in turn bought out Piriform, that should be a straight forward liaison.
the Admin team do read these threads, eventually, but as to a follow-up or investigation, who can say.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

If you're downloading the free version make sure the checksums/hashes match (even though they don't publish them on the download site), and also right-click the file and make sure the Digital Signature is valid and signed.

File Name: spsetup131.exe
MD5: 0F3457989D9F5CF05A8EA435CB26A704
SHA-1: 7BAF469001833D3A7B1D2E377426B439C7F981AE
SHA-256: F52EC93F4EA0B4D7CCE5C4B495B8B2DA2657FF2073A1745993D972AE8D8389F2

One of the detections is by ESET/NOD which will always detect the included 3rd party Google software. Also since the installer was compiled with NSIS that may cause some scanners to produce a false positive every now and then. VirusTotal did have 4 detections earlier (from 2 hours ago), and now with the link provided below it has 2 detections.

Scan results from online scanners:

Jotti
https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/7odx8py36t

VirusTotal
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f52ec93f4ea0b4d7cce5c4b495b8b2da2657ff2073a1745993d972ae8d8389f2/analysis/1519127846/

1 hour ago, jm77 said:

Same thing with Avast. Avast moved that setup file to chest. Says that its infected with virus Win32:Rootkit-gen

after windows update the  same installer is okey. Rescanned and everything seems ok. Not flagging anymore.

I tried again, using a different PC, one running Sophos antivirus, and attempted to download Speccy 1.31 from the Piriform website (not FileHippo) and immediately got a Sophos pop-up to say "High Risk Website Blocked - Access to this page is blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website. "

I think Piriform have some questions to answer, irrespective of the compiler used.

Speccy version 1.29 seems safe to use.

Andavari? Comments please?

• Moderators

No questions to answer as far as I can see. I get no problems with the website or the download.

Virus total shows no detections for the URL

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/5b2e886f0e35d61b014e9e946b98956ed8054bb97c54774d810b59545c3e31fc/detection

As you can see if you scroll down the link, Sophos hasn't rated it yet.

Edited by hazelnut

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

ps: after download yesterday the latest version of speccy my avg dont tell me something :)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Downloaded spsetup131 from filehippo also from Piriform, scanned with Avast AV, submitted to virustotal, got same hashes,same result as Andavari. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.