Microsoft Powertoys & CCleaner

I'm having an issue with CCleaner and Microsoft Powertoys Virtual Desktop. I had installed MPVD, and things were running fine. After running CCleaner ... the MPVD no longer retained the individual desktop images for each of the 4 desktops ... the screens simply turned blue. I had done the Registry Backup in CCleaner, so I ran the registry reset hoping to repair the settings, but the MPVD still had the incorrect desktop images. I then did a system restore to a point in time before I had installed CCleaner, but the MPVD images are still not working properly. After the system restore, I re-installed MPVD, but there was no difference. The program still switches between desktops -- it's just that they don't retain the desktop images. Any thoughts on repairing this?

Hi reisa and welcome :)

I'm not sure what's going on. But you have done the right things so far.

If you reinstalled the program and the program still isn't working then how is it related to CCleaner? If you reinstall the program, and don't run CCleaner, then CCleaner probably wasn't the culprit in the first place. I am willing to bet that something else went wrong around the same time that you ran CCleaner and that something else is the problem.

I don't use MPVD, but a few people on the forum do. Maybe they will be able to offer some ideas. Have you tried posting on the MS forums or anything (it could be helpful)? I think that something went wrong with your system, and that's why you're having problems. I will just need to look around and see if I can find information about your problem.

Good Luck and keep us updated. :)

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Its because it stores its files in temp directories.(smart move Microsoft)

So basically ccleaner wipes out all of its files when you run it.(not ccleaners fault). I dan't know of a way to fix this either. Its been discussed on the forum a few times but I don't think a solution work around was ever found.

Its because it stores its files in temp directories.(smart move Microsoft)

So basically ccleaner wipes out all of its files when you run it.(no ccleaners fault). I dan't know of a way to fix this either. Its been discussed on the forum a few times but I don't think a solution work around was ever found.

Then why isn't it working when CCleaner isn't used? Did I misunderstand? <_<

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

I don't know why it didn't work once he reinstalled it. What he should probably uninstall it. Then run ccleaner and fix all issues/clean all temp folders. Then reboot and try to reinstall it.

I don't know why it didn't work once he reinstalled it. What he should probably uninstall it. Then run ccleaner and fix all issues/clean all temp folders. Then reboot and try to reinstall it.

Good advice. ;)

Thanks - I may give this a shot. For everyone's knowledge -- I've connected CCleaner to the issue because it's the single program I installed and ran before the MPVD started misbehaving. This followed a re-install of WindowsXP ... because I had run CCleaner after installing IE7Beta2 without knowing about the problems that causes (I'm a little more educated now).