CCleaner Sloooow

geo2mem

CCleaner runs the "Analyze" portion of the cleaning cycle just as it normally has, but the "Run Cleaner" is horrendously slow.  Tonight, after only being on line for less than 3 hrs. it took 236 seconds to "Clean".  A month ago that would have taken 10-15 seconds tops!  I "cleaned" the pc last night so it wasn't an accumulation of residual files.  It gets bogged down at the 41% mark with Google Chrome - Internet Cache files deleting them about 2 every second.  WHAT HAPPENED TO CCLEANER?

UPDATE:  Last night's "Run Cleaner" took 251 seconds!  4 Minutes!

Edited by geo2mem
Update

• Moderators

CC versions?
OS versions?

what happens when you untick the Chrome cleaning?
chrome versions?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

mta, It's any CC version on Windows 10. I haven't tried unticking Chrome but will do that next time. I  believe I have the latest Chrome version.

Andavari, I don't have Chrome synced, but I did have it set to allow background tasks running after closed. Will see how that goes. I don't even touch IE but use Edge on occasion. 

Thank you both for your replies and advice. :)

• Moderators

wild guess here, but Win10 and the main browsers (FF and Chrome) are changing faster than new CC releases.
I know a few versions ago FF (and I think Chrome in recent history) have changed the what, how and where their files live.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I'm running the latest versions of Win 10, Chrome and CC.  Cleaning "Google Chrome - Internet Cache" is one of the primary reasons that I use CC.  That is the point everything stops ... 41% completion.  Things were doing great before Avast bought CC and started blindly loading their software with each CC 'update'!

Guest Stephen CCleaner
On 2/17/2018 at 18:03, geo2mem said:

I'm running the latest versions of Win 10, Chrome and CC.  Cleaning "Google Chrome - Internet Cache" is one of the primary reasons that I use CC.  That is the point everything stops ... 41% completion.  Things were doing great before Avast bought CC and started blindly loading their software with each CC 'update'!

Hi geo2mem,

It would help a lot to confirm the following information:

1. Which version of CCleaner you are running
    • (e.g. v5.40)
  2. Which version of Chrome you are running (Settings > About Chrome)
    • (e.g. v64.0.3282.167)
  3. Which version and edition of Windows you have
    • (e.g. Windows 10 Home)
    • (e.g. Windows 7 Professional)
    • (e.g. Windows Server 2016)
  4. Your system architecture
    • (e.g. 64-bit)
    • (e.g. 32-bit)

I'm at work and I looked at my CC here which should be the same as mine at home.  Secure Deletion = No; Wipe Free Space = YES!!  I never selected that option.  I bet that is the culprit!  Agree?  You ought to publish this solution to all if those settings can cause the slowdowns I mentioned.  I'll check the home laptop this evening.

• Moderators

Do you mean that Wipe Free Space in Cleaner is checked? If so, then a drive has to be selected in Options/Settings for this to come into effect. The default for this is WFS unchecked and no drive checked. If you mean that a drive is checked in Options/Settings then WFS in Cleaner has to checked for this to be effective. As the defaults are unchecked then if both are checked then at some time some human intervention was required to make the change. Yes, wiping free space takes a lot of time, and produces an operation complete message.  As your run times are about four minutes then I very much doubt that WFS is running.

My normal cleaning run staggers a little at 46 seconds, but is over in around ten seconds or so. That cleans around 2-300 mb on average.

• Moderators

You're not the first person to use those and forget to disable them.

Wipe Free Space is one of those features that I wish would automatically disable itself after each use, and I've made that suggestion in the past as it can catch any of us out.