CCleaner not clearing Firefox Recent History

John27

After using the free version of this great program for years without problems, suddenly Firefox 'Recent history' is still there after running CCleaner. 'Internet Cache', 'History', 'Cookies' and 'Session' are all checked. Windows Task Manager shows that no Firefox process is running in the background. I'm using the latest version of CCleaner on Windows 10 (64bit) and Firefox 58.0.1 (64bit). I can clean 'Recent History' manually from inside Firefox.

Is this a bug or what am I doing wrong? Any suggestions most welcome . . 

I'm getting the exact same thing. I have the ccleaner professional and it's ignoring firefox everything, even though I have it all checked on the boxes. It's also not deleting IE temp files or windows log files. I'm feeling rather irked by this. Some help would be appreciated piriform people.

• 2 years later...

I think I'm having this problem too.

I bit the bullet on the new PC I built and started using last year. I decided to use new Firefox and keep it up to date and dear god has it been a pain. But what I did not realise until recently was that I can't get it to do what was simple with pre-Quantum Firefox and that is to delete all FF history without deleting existing active login cookies too.

What I've found is that whichever Clear History option I use either everything gets deleted forcing me to re-login on every forum and web site whether I've ticked Remember Me or not. But if I exclude Active Logins it also seems to keep tabs and session information for any of those Active Logins too. So when I restart FF the history shows those from the last session. It is damned stupid.

This is where CCleaner comes in. In older versions of FF even if all its own Delete History Options are ticked and used when CCleaner has stored the Active Login ones they're, presumably, replaced during the cleaning process. However it works what this means is that FF is properly cleaned of all session history but the Active Login cookies you want to keep are still there each time FF restarts until they expire.

It seems like new FF is now ignoring CCleaner's saved FF cookies.

Is this the "bug" that was fixed or was it actually just a change in the way or location new FF stores that cookie information?

I ask because I use a CCleaner configuration .ini to include Waterfox (Classic) , which incidentally is up to date and still works like old FF in regard to this matter. Was the 'fix' for this FF problem just an additional location which could be added to any CCleaner version?

If so, what?

• Moderators

I recall that Firefox did change where some things were stored last year, as well as adding some new locations.
It may be that the information that you want to keep is being saved elsewhere now, and CCleaner is (always was?) cleaning that location.

I can't remember them all but as your issue seems connected with sessions then look at: 'sessionstore', 'sessionstore-backups', 'sessionCheckpoints.json', in appdata\roaming.
I'd also look at various entries in 'cache2\*' in appdata\local.

If you run CCleaner in debug mode it will create a logfile in the CCleaner folder which you can open in a text editor to see just what has been cleaned, that could help pinpoint the entries that you want to keep.
https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/troubleshooting/running-ccleaner-in-debug-mode

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks I'll look into this some more.

I've download the CCleaner version mentioned above - in fact the version number quoted there is wrong it should be:-

v5.39.6399 (16 Jan 2018)

This is straight from Piriform's CCleaner Changelog so it must be correct.

I'll try using that and see whether that makes a difference to the FF Clear History operation and then try to work out, if possible, what was changed.

Oh......I just noticed this in the Changelog whilst I was there:-

v5.36.6278 (24 Oct 2017)

Browser Cleaning
- Firefox: updated Session cleaning rule to support changes in Firefox 56.0*
- Chrome (& Chromium): updated Internet History cleaning rule to clean user activity data
- Opera: updated Internet History cleaning rule to clean user activity data

Default Cleaning Rules
- Windows Explorer: Most Recently Used documents and other MRU files no longer cleaned by default
- Windows Defender: Scan history no longer cleaned by default
- Microsoft Office: MRUs no longer cleaned by default
- Edge, Chrome/Chromium, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Thunderbird: Current session data no longer cleaned by default

* So there was a change in Firefox when Quantum was introduced which meant existing CCleaner versions would not work as well or in the same ways as they had with older FF. Interesting.

If anyone knows what those changes to the session cleaning rule were it would be a great help.  

• Moderators

Sorry don't know.

I noticed the changes because I wrote my own cleaner for Firefox so CC never saw it - until after the changes when CC suddenly started finding FFx stuff that mine hadn't cleaned.

TBH my cleaner logs you out of all websites/fora as well, but that's what I want it to do.

If you're stuck I could try and see which bits of my cleaner does the actual logging out, but I'd bet it's one of those session entries.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043