Closing Firefox/Mozilla

I have Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and Ver. 1.29.295. When I run CCleaner, I get the following message:

"You must close Firefox/Mozilla to allow the Internet Cache to be cleaned. Otherwise this part will be skipped".

But Firefox/Mozilla is already closed, yet, on cleaning, the cache has skipped.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong here, and any asistance would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You may have to open Task Manager and end the Firefox program there. For some reason it sometimes continues to run in the background even though you've exited the program.

Ctr+Alt+Delete and then right click on firefox.exe then click on End Process and then Yes. Then run CCleaner as usual.

Also, if you try to clean too soon after closing Firefox this will happen. If that's the case, you just need to wait 30 seconds or so when that message comes up before you click ok.

However, Firefox not closing completely is a well-known problem. Java is one cause, always make sure Java is shut down before you close Firefox - exit any Java page first. Problems with Firefox extensions can be to blame, too.

If you have firefox preloader then you'll have to shut that off too. When you use task manager to shut off the firefox.exe process, check to make sure there aren't any more firefox processes opened. ometimes there will be more then one firefox process opened in the background.

• 8 months later...
Also, if you try to clean too soon after closing Firefox this will happen. If that's the case, you just need to wait 30 seconds or so when that message comes up before you click ok.

However, Firefox not closing completely is a well-known problem. Java is one cause, always make sure Java is shut down before you close Firefox - exit any Java page first. Problems with Firefox extensions can be to blame, too.

I am having the same problem and have tried ending the process but am still getting the same message. Yesterday I installed an extension from the firefox website that makes switching between tabs simple. I didn't really like it so I uninstalled it soon afterward. Could this be the cause of the problem? If so what can I do about it as I already uninstalled it in the firefox add on menu? Is there any solution?