2 cd drives when theres really only one

TheFiresInTheSky

the problems on my laptop. it shows up as theres 2 drives which theres only one that reads/ writes cd's and reads dvd's. theres a E and a G drive. the E, which is the one that reads everything, says DVD on it. the other one doesnt. G doesnt read anything i put in it. i reinstalled windows and it fixed it for a day, then it came back. i dont get it...

• Moderators

If you have a system restore point when everything worked you may want to give that a try.

You may need to get an official firmware update from the manufacturer website. Just don't download any firmware updates from any third-parties as they're known to destroy drives.

If you're using a particular CD/DVD burning software that is doing it perhaps it needs updated to resolve bugs, or replaced altogether.

its windows itself. i reinstalled windows and the next day i turned on the computer and there were two drives. couldnt make a restore point either.

• Moderators

Well with all the problems your laptop is experiencing from what you've stated in other threads, I'd say it's time to start saving some money back each week until you can afford a brand new one that isn't broken from the get go. If I'm wrong in those statements please ignore them.

it shows up as theres 2 drives which theres only one

The "phantom" CD/DVD problem is common and you will find various references on the internet. The cause has been attributed to the drive hardware, drivers, burner software, etc. but I've never seen a definitive answer.

I used to have the problem sporadically until (for other reasons) I happened to change the drive letter assignments using Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management > Change Drive Letter and Paths. It could have been coincidental but is a harmless fix to try.

couldnt make a restore point either

This may be too obvious but did you check the settings under Control Panel > System > System Restore?

I used to have the problem sporadically until (for other reasons) I happened to change the drive letter assignments using Control Panel > Computer Management > Disk Management > Change Drive Letter and Paths. It could have been coincidental but is a harmless fix to try.

This may be too obvious but did you check the settings under Control Panel > System > System Restore?

i think i got it, i just disabled the "false" drive. thanks!

i think i got it, i just disabled the "false" drive. thanks!

Glad it's fixed now. Just curious though, is there any chance that the "false drive" was in fact, an image drive?

There are a number of disk burning apps that can create an image drive so that you can run programs without having to use the disk. These image drives show up in My Computer as if they were physical drives, so perhaps that is what you have.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

no, i doubt it was. but now ive fixed my burning problem too! wOOt wOOt! LOL, just had to make fun of her...

Her?! I'm a masculine lokoike, you silly boy. :P

And out of curiousity, what burning program(s) are you using? Just wondering.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

HEHE roxio...

That's what I was thinking before I scrolled down to your reply. Roxio has been reported by people on other forums as causing all sorts of problems with WinXP.

HEHE roxio...

Well. You won't be laughing when you start having problems again. Did you see Andavari's last post? That's exactly what I told you to begin with.

As for making fun of me.....w00t!! w00t!! Go right on ahead. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• 2 weeks later...

im 14, i make my money by making video advertisements, home videos, videos of weddings, birthday parties, whatever anybody needs really. i use Pinnacle

roxio does suck but ive managed to work everything out with it. its all i have and i cant afford any more.

w00t w00t! <---sorry, i just had to do it.

pINNACLE? Pinnacle is... bad... to say the least... Pinnacle 10 is buggy, crashes on AMD processors, forces you to buy effects, etc. etc. etc. I really don't like it. It's user friendly (idiot proof, practically) but I dont' think it's a very good editing tool.

Me? I usually use a combination of Premiere, Vegas 6, and VirtualDub.

I make my money, by doing things to strangers in alley ways for cash.

omg! *shaking head* Where did that come from!?!? :blink::huh:

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

pINNACLE? Pinnacle is... bad... to say the least... Pinnacle 10 is buggy, crashes on AMD processors, forces you to buy effects, etc. etc. etc. I really don't like it. It's user friendly (idiot proof, practically) but I dont' think it's a very good editing tool.

Me? I usually use a combination of Premiere, Vegas 6, and VirtualDub.

pinnacle 10 is kinda buggy if you dont run it on the right computer. but about the amd processors, just buy a different brand. it doesnt "force" you to buy effects, but if you want to use ANY effects at all, you gotta buy them. same with all the other stuff on there. know of an editing program that has multiple video tracks to edit on?

WTF thats the same type a thing as in the lounge, "astrolit" if its some sort of virus, they suck at makin em! crap, my puters shuttin down...LOL JK