file cluster(s) overwritten (0) is it stll gone? ethereum account keystore file

tonyp12

Filename: UTC--2017-12-15T05-23-06.593317100Z--cfebf89f6fcea755ebba061b25a0db398a592055

Path: C:\?

Size: 491 bytes (491)

State: Unrecoverable

Creation time: 12/15/2017 00:23

Comment: This file is overwritten with "C:\pagefile.sys"

1 file cluster(s) overwritten (0)

1 cluster(s) allocated at offset 7864679

Not really true, what does "overwritten (0)" mean?

After a day of trying I used Recuva's Scan Contents... and searched for {"address":
it said it was inside the 17GB pagefile that the new win10 installation is using, I had set it to that size as 6 graphics cards needs it
Recovered it (just copy and save really), used windows cmd FIND "cfebf89f6fcea755ebba061b25a0db398a592055" K:pagefile.sys
As I could not look for strings that have " in them, maybe with escape char? so I could not look for 
{"address": again.
and bingo, ready to copy and paste back the whole ciphertext back in to Mist Ethereum wallet.

The dot in file name is what separates the name and type, so I recreated those for the file, just in case.

• Moderators

What's not quite true?

Overwritten (0) means that the cluster at offset 0 in the cluster list for this file (i.e. the first and only cluster) has been overwritten.

I assume that you have now recovered your data by another means.

But the text string was actually still there, unless some shadow text of it was in a second location, but I never copy/pasted/deleted that file.
Recuva's Scan Contents... found the file the text was in, in was the same file Recuva said had overwritten it, I recovered it by using windows FIND.

So here is a new recommended feature for Recuva: recover crypto currency accounts.
Scan that harddrive just for known beginning text of encrypted privatekey strings, don't care about if it's still a file.