defragging an SSD

matanster

Hi there,

I was tempted into defragging an SSD partition, figuring it might help shrinking a Windows 10 partition. 

I realize that was very foolish as SSD should never be defragged (it hurts the drive controller's placement optimizations; addressing in SSD is purely logical).

1) is there a way to reduce the damage, letting the SSD drive "re-organize" as it normally would?

2) why doesn't the tool prevent, or at least warn, before defragging an SSD??!

Thanks in advance for your expert information!

Matan

- You don't need to defragment a SSD because there are no moving parts in a SSD, it's all in chips. On a HD information can be scattered all around the drive and then it will take (comparitively) much more time to read that information. The read/write head needs to re-position itself before it can read all the parts of the info.

- If you have installed the Win 10 partition on that SSD then I assume it won't give a warning at all. However, I have a (removable) USB SSD drive and then Defraggler does give a warning before I start to defragment that SSD drive.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

in DF, what is the Media Type of the SSD?

if it is (wrongly) showing as a HDD, that is a known bug in DF (and CC) and may explain why it let you defrag the drive instead of doing an optimise(trim).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if all the data is re-written that's only a two or three write cycles at most out of each cell, and the cells are probably rated at 10,000 writes before failure. So if your partition is half full, and you rewrite your entire data every day, you still have around 60 years to go (less 3 days for your defrag).