Scan just runs and runs and runs....

Allan

I've been using CCleaner now for a couple of years now without encountering any problems but when I did my usual weekly scan at the week-end it just ran and ran and ran and eventually it came up with an error report saying that 'CCleaner has encountered a problem and needs to close.' and it gave me the usual option to report the problem to MS.

Looking through the Forum I see that there is a similar instance and the suggested solution, from YoKenny, was to reduce the default size of the Temporary Internet Folder(IE) to 40MB. I tried this but unfortunately no joy ! I'm running Windows XP SP2 and my computer expertise is limited. Any ideas please ? - and thanks.

Hi Allan and welcome :)

You may want to updat your VB here.

Let us know how it goes.

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi Allan and welcome :)

You may want to updat your VB here.

Let us know how it goes.

K

Will updating my VB possibly solve my problem - as I mentioned in my original question my computer expertise is limited ?

Cheers Allan

Updating your VB could possibly fix your problem. That's why I suggested it. Your problem sounds like a CCleaner crash, and the most common solution to that is updating your VB runtime. If it doesn't work, then you can post back with more information, and members will assist you in troubleshooting your problem. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Updating your VB could possibly fix your problem. That's why I suggested it. Your problem sounds like a CCleaner crash, and the most common solution to that is updating your VB runtime. If it doesn't work, then you can post back with more information, and members will assist you in troubleshooting your problem. :)

I've updated the VB as suggested but I'm afraid the problem is still there.

Cheers Allan

Things to check for:

1. You downloaded AND installed VB runtimes? (Make sure that you installed it after downloading)

2. Which version of CCleaner are you using? The current version is 1.28.

3. Did you install CCleaner with Norton and/or Windows Defender turned on? (If so, reinstall with those turned off)

4. Are your permissions working properly? If not, download and install DAF Medium. When you launch DAF: click Tools > Repair Permissions > Go

Well...this covers quite a bit of information. What could narrow down the problem is doing the following:

1. Run CCleaner and let it crash.

2. Start > Run > (type) eventvwr > press OK

3. Now look in the right window pane. Double click Applications, and look at the times. Are there any Warnings or Errors at the time that CCleaner crashed? If so write down the Event ID, and the source then post them here.

4. Now double click System, and look at the times. Are there any Warnings or Errors at the time that CCleaner crashed? If so...write down the Event ID, and the source then post them here.

That's about all that I got without having more information. :)

K

Things to check for:

1. You downloaded AND installed VB runtimes? (Make sure that you installed it after downloading)

2. Which version of CCleaner are you using? The current version is 1.28.

3. Did you install CCleaner with Norton and/or Windows Defender turned on? (If so, reinstall with those turned off)

4. Are your permissions working properly? If not, download and install DAF Medium. When you launch DAF: click Tools > Repair Permissions > Go

Well...this covers quite a bit of information. What could narrow down the problem is doing the following:

1. Run CCleaner and let it crash.

2. Start > Run > (type) eventvwr > press OK

3. Now look in the right window pane. Double click Applications, and look at the times. Are there any Warnings or Errors at the time that CCleaner crashed? If so write down the Event ID, and the source then post them here.

4. Now double click System, and look at the times. Are there any Warnings or Errors at the time that CCleaner crashed? If so...write down the Event ID, and the source then post them here.

That's about all that I got without having more information. :)

K

Hello again K,

To begin with many thanks indeed for your patience and tenacity on this matter !

1. I downloaded and installed VB runtimes (whatever that is - as I said before , my expertise is limited ?!), and I also rebooted, Andavari.

2. I'm running version 1.28

3. I re-installed CCleaner with Norton turned off(also Zonealarm) but still no joy.

4. I haven't a clue what DAF Medium is ! I followed your link but not really sure here what I should be downloading ?!

5. I ran the eventviewer after CCleaner crashed and there was an Aplications error at the time of the crash and the event ID was 1000. There was no error shown at that time under System.

Thanks again,

Allan

Hi Allan, sorry about that.

DAF Med here If this doesn't work, I may be out of ideas. <_<

Hello again K,

Just to let you know I seemed to have fixed the problem but exactly how I did it I'm not sure ! This afternoon, just out of curiosity, I loaded a piece of freebie software called 'PC Booster' (bluesquad.co.uk) which came on a cover disk with a recently purchased magazine, Computer Shopper(I'm in the UK, I don't know if you have it over there??). Anyway, after running the software and rebooting I tried out some of my programs just to see if it had made any difference to performance (which it had!). I also tried CCleaner and lo and behold it was working as per normal again !

Although I'm not sure exactly what cured the problem it hasn't been a wasted exercise. As the saying goes, "Never a day is wasted when you've learnt something new" and I've learnt one or two new things along the way. Many thanks once again for your efforts, K. and also Andavari and Glenn.

Cheers,

Allan