Firefox Quantum

rridgely

• Moderators

Anyone tried the newest version of Firefox. They have revamped it on both the PC and iOS(and probably android but I don't have one to see).
The interface basically looks like chrome. I will say that it seems very fast/responsive and the mobile version is miles ahead of where they were. I'm going to play with it a little but my initial impression for both versions is that its pretty good. What do you think?

• Moderators

had Firefox Quantum 57 for a couple of weeks now, seems fine.

faster, yes, but from my usage, all seems much the same.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

i mean, quantum is a little bit faster - not really and not better

some things are gone or changed - are there employees from google by mozilla? ;-)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

I have been a full time chrome user for a few years now. The immediate thing I notice upon loading this version is that it looks like chrome and seems about as fast.
The reason I was using chrome was the mobile version would perfectly sync with the desktop version. The mobile version of firefox was terrible, but I've been using the new version for a few hours now and it is significantly better. The interface doesn't look ancient and it is much more responsive. I actually like its new tab page a lot more than what chrome does and the multiple search engine options are nice.

I haven't tried creating a firefox account yet but I will do that today. If it works like it should I may give this a shot for a few days and see if I like it better than chrome.

• Moderators

So I've been using this version of Firefox for a week now on both my iPhone and my desktops/laptops.
I'm not sure I'm going to transition to it permanently from chrome but I definitely could. I would say that this version of firefox is just as clean looking and just as fast. The mobile version is a vast improvement over the previous version and it is a viable alternative to safari and chrome on iOS. It used to have this really clunky interface and was really slow.

I read somewhere that this version of firefox is the only browser that truly uses multicore processors. I have a core i7 in my main desktop so it is nice to think its being better utilized when doing something other than video encoding and gaming. I dont necessarily notice it being faster but it is definitely not slower. I also haven't had it crash a single time yet.

On 12/24/2017 at 01:52, rridgely said:

So I've been using this version of Firefox for a week now on both my iPhone and my desktops/laptops.
I'm not sure I'm going to transition to it permanently from chrome but I definitely could. I would say that this version of firefox is just as clean looking and just as fast. The mobile version is a vast improvement over the previous version and it is a viable alternative to safari and chrome on iOS. It used to have this really clunky interface and was really slow.

I read somewhere that this version of firefox is the only browser that truly uses multicore processors. I have a core i7 in my main desktop so it is nice to think its being better utilized when doing something other than video encoding and gaming. I dont necessarily notice it being faster but it is definitely not slower. I also haven't had it crash a single time yet.

Apple requires browsers to use the Safari engine (webkit) under-the-hood in order to be listed on the Apple App Store, so engine performance should be comparable on all browsers when using iOS AFAIK.

As for multi-core use. Firefox owes this newfound concurrency to Rust. Stylo, the new CSS engine uplifted from Servo is the first/currently only major component to parallelize its tasks so far as I am aware. CSS parsing and computation performance should scale linearly with the number of cores on your machine.

You should try giving Nightly a download on your desktop and investigate how well WebRender works for you.