Malicious file found in CCleaner v5.38

aqua2

Hi, I am a long-time user of CCleaner. I had recently installed CCleaner v5.38 file from the Piriform website, and my Comodo antivirus flagged it as a malicious file. I then read about how CCleaner was hacked with malware in Sept17, and I am quite worried. I noticed that Comodo flagged the file but Avast didn't do any scans?  Also, while downloading the CCleanerPro trial version, there is no malicious file so it seems that the malicious file is only in the basic free version?

I am running Win7, 64-bit OS. According to Comodo Logs, the malware name is Malware@#1lycl2ixxep4b.

I really loved CCleaner's features and uses, but I can't use it now because my antivirus cancels the download. I wanted to make people aware of this finding too after reading several distressed threads.

Is there a similar product like CCleaner?

• Moderators

Commodo is false flagging the latest installer likely to do with the bundled google/avast with the free version.  The malware, in september, was one version of ccleaner and was spread through all (pro and free, installer or portable) ccleaner.exe files.

This being the official website for ccleaner, you won't be getting alternatives to ccleaner.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

g'day @aqua2 and welcome to the forum,

as @Nergal says, the bundled offerings are only done in the Free version, which is why you aren't seeing it in the Pro version.

are you running Avast and Comodo?

you can either add CCleaner as an exception to your AV software or temporarily turn off the AV software while you download CC.
you should also report it as a false positive to them so they can update their rules.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, mta said:

g'day @aqua2 and welcome to the forum,

as @Nergal says, the bundled offerings are only done in the Free version, which is why you aren't seeing it in the Pro version.

are you running Avast and Comodo?

you can either add CCleaner as an exception to your AV software or temporarily turn off the AV software while you download CC.
you should also report it as a false positive to them so they can update their rules.

Only I mentioned Avast...mostly because lack of sleep has caused me temporary amnesia as to who now owns us, avast or avg but I'm pretty sure it's avast :( <---no memory sad face

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

For what it is worth, I'd like to report that I updated CCleaner Free with v 5.38.6357 today and ended up with Avast as well.

I use Unchecky which normally  unwanted bundled things are not installed and it had never failed me, so I was not paying attention

and may have messed up. 

Can someone confirm that Avast came bundled with the above updater and I missed it or if that hack from a few months back has re-surfaced please.

FYI for Aqua2, just this morning i installed CCleaner free ver 538, no malware. 

Just an offer to install google toolbar, in big letters.  No offer for Avast as I already use it. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

It seems to offer different ones at different times.

I've just been doing some testing of different installer versions (that will be another thread) and was offered Avast, Chrome, or Google toolbar at different times

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043