Failed to verify the following device

MMatildes

I install Recuva in my computer, but when I try to verify the "F" disk, the window apeear: Failed to verify the following device F: can't determine system type file. Recuva can't open "F" drive disk, Do I need to format the "F" disk before procedee to verify? My files are audio type and when I tried to open "F" disk in Windows Explorer, the following window message appear: F disk in unformated, do you want to procedee? When this problem apeeared in first time, I rejected and buy Recuva to recovery data files.

• Moderators

Hi MMatildes, and welcome to the forum.

The drive has become corrupt for whatever reason and the data on it is now recognized as being RAW. Without knowing how and why I can't say whether it's simply corrupt boot sectors or damage to the data itself, but with any luck it's just the boot sectors and your data may still be intact.

A positive is the fact that Windows recognizes the drive at least and has given it a drive letter. That gives you a couple of options to try.

A:  Carry out a "Quick Format" of the drive which will reinitialize the file system and enable Recuva to scan it.

B: Before doing that, try a free program called PhotoREC, which has the ability to scan and recover files from a "RAW" drive.

PhotoRec:

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.

Don't be fooled by the name, it's a very powerful program.

list of file formats recovered by PhotoRec:

Just bare in mind that recovery isn't an exact science, and I wish you good luck with it.

Hope that helps.  :)

EDIT:  PhotoRec Step By Step