Jump to content
CCleaner Community Forums

Windows text not displaying correctly


Recommended Posts

  • Moderators

g'day coolcat and welcome,

what is your CC and Windows version?
did you run the registry cleaner in CC and was CC run with default settings or with customisations?
have you rebooted the PC yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mta said:

g'day coolcat and welcome,

what is your CC and Windows version?
did you run the registry cleaner in CC and was CC run with default settings or with customisations?
have you rebooted the PC yet?

I don’t know what version of CC but I have windows 10. I did run registry with default. I haven’t rebooted the PC, it is updating

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

it could just need a reboot after the clean to 'refresh' things.

if still no luck, restore the registry from the offered backup when you cleaned it (you did make one didn't you?)
but that may get a bit messy now it's doing an update after the clean and will probably make one or more system restore points itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Is this text missing from (almost) all applications, browsers etc.? (I see your screenshot is the task manager without text).

If so I had a similar problem after the original Creators Update back in April.

The problem then was that a programme I ran (JRT) was terminating the "fontdrvhost"  process and the system was unable to access linked fonts to display them, so everything that used linked fonts appeared blank. (Even notepad was blank).
A shutdown and reboot solved the problem (by starting the process again).

It could well be that by using the registry cleaner you have deleted some registry key or other used by this process.

If a simple reboot does not solve it for you then you could try repairing (or even reinstalling) Windows 10.

 

Try running the SFC command first, it's the simplest way to repair system files.
https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

ps. where that tells you to use 'command prompt (Admin)' you'll probably see 'PowerShell (Admin)' instead, no problem - either use power shell or just open the normal, left click, start menu and type cmd (not in any box, just type it with the start menu open) which will bring up an icon for the command window, right click that and 'run as administrator'.

 

If that fails then it may be time for a full repair or reinstall of Windows 10.
The simplest way is to boot into Advanced Startup mode - Hold down the shift key while clicking on restart;  in the screen that comes up select Troubleshoot.
From there you can restore, repair, reinstall (saving files), or reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.
The screens you see may be slightly different from this article, Windows 10 keeps changing.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

 

Oh; and don't use a registry cleaner - there is no need to unless you are a technician repairing a broken/virused machine.
Especially don't use one with Windows 10; it changes too often.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 00:08, mta said:

it could just need a reboot after the clean to 'refresh' things.

if still no luck, restore the registry from the offered backup when you cleaned it (you did make one didn't you?)
but that may get a bit messy now it's doing an update after the clean and will probably make one or more system restore points itself.

I restarted my PC and it works great, all text is there. :)

 

On 12/5/2017 at 09:42, nukecad said:

Is this text missing from (almost) all applications, browsers etc.? (I see your screenshot is the task manager without text).

If so I had a similar problem after the original Creators Update back in April.

The problem then was that a programme I ran (JRT) was terminating the "fontdrvhost"  process and the system was unable to access linked fonts to display them, so everything that used linked fonts appeared blank. (Even notepad was blank).
A shutdown and reboot solved the problem (by starting the process again).

It could well be that by using the registry cleaner you have deleted some registry key or other used by this process.

If a simple reboot does not solve it for you then you could try repairing (or even reinstalling) Windows 10.

 

Try running the SFC command first, it's the simplest way to repair system files.
https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

ps. where that tells you to use 'command prompt (Admin)' you'll probably see 'PowerShell (Admin)' instead, no problem - either use power shell or just open the normal, left click, start menu and type cmd (not in any box, just type it with the start menu open) which will bring up an icon for the command window, right click that and 'run as administrator'.

 

If that fails then it may be time for a full repair or reinstall of Windows 10.
The simplest way is to boot into Advanced Startup mode - Hold down the shift key while clicking on restart;  in the screen that comes up select Troubleshoot.
From there you can restore, repair, reinstall (saving files), or reinstall Windows 10 from scratch.
The screens you see may be slightly different from this article, Windows 10 keeps changing.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html

 

Oh; and don't use a registry cleaner - there is no need to unless you are a technician repairing a broken/virused machine.
Especially don't use one with Windows 10; it changes too often.

I restarted my PC and it got fixed from a restart/boot-up. I won't do a registry clean again, I had only done it because it was glitchy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...