Latest Update Avast on Desktop

marksilcock

• Moderators

g'day Mark and welcome to the forum,

it is offered when installing CC via a pre-ticked option (not a fan myself).
you can go into Control Panel and remove the Avast software if it has been installed.
if it's just stored the installation file for Avast on the desktop, that too can be deleted.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I do NOT like having the Avast software downloaded and activated on my computer, without my permission.  There was no box when I upgraded to the latest version that informed me it would be installed.  And that is another point. . .why is the PRO version of CCleaner not able to install updates?  Why should we have to come here, download the "trial version" and then internally allow our license to validate our rights to it?  Furthermore, the Avast software just informed me that "you have joined a different Network . . ." then giving me the "name" of that network, Avast asks if it can scan it.  Is this a sneaky way to make inroads into networks it discovers nearby?  WTH - Piriform.  We are your customers give us the option PROMINENTLY to choose.  Thank you. 

There was absolutely no box regarding Avast when I upgraded CCleaner. I'm not blind, I'd have seen it, esp. since I always choose the Customize option just above. And now I can't even uninstall it because it's not in the list of installed app! But the Avast folders are there in C:\Program Files and in C:\ProgramData How do I get rid of that unwanted program now?? This is a disgusting tactic to force unwanted apps on users, shame on you.

Avast 1.jpg

Edited by arqn
added screen capture

There is a requirement, tacit or otherwise, that check boxes are UNTICKED by default.

The text and the box is very small and yes, of course people are in a hurry. It is deliberately deceptive and divisive. To any reasonable person this is, to all intents, installation by stealth and nothing but. There is no excuse for it.

It wasted over an hour of my time today, firstly because it downloaded and installed itself and then consumed all the spare resources so that all open work was effectively frozen to the point that even a re-start command was ineffective and secondly, because that forced me to have to do a manual kill and sytem reset, followed by a sytems restore, a further reset and restore, a reboot and re-load of work to get back to where I was.

Over an hour unnecessarily wasted and my daily workflow frustrated. That lost time is unrecoverable. Thank you Piriform.

You have made one thing very clear to me. To never, ever subscribe to any of your products. If you cannot be trusted, you do not deserve my custom.

3 hours ago, arqn said:

There was absolutely no box regarding Avast when I upgraded CCleaner. I'm not blind, I'd have seen it, esp. since I always choose the Customize option just above. And now I can't even uninstall it because it's not in the list of installed app! But the Avast folders are there in C:\Program Files and in C:\ProgramData How do I get rid of that unwanted program now?? This is a disgusting tactic to force unwanted apps on users, shame on you.

Avast 1.jpg

Do a system restore using a restore point (date/time, paying attention to time zone) before you got stuck with this cr*p, following which delete the Avast Software folder.

(FWIW, for things like this I do system restore at command line level, or you could use Win in Safe Mode.)

1 hour ago, Jin said:

The text and the box is very small and yes, of course people are in a hurry. It is deliberately deceptive and divisive. To any reasonable person this is, to all intents, installation by stealth and nothing but. There is no excuse for it.

Exactly. Those bundled offers are by design deceptive. When I buy a car I don't expect to be receiving a gym membership because it's written in the small prints of my purchasing contract.

55 minutes ago, APMichael said:

Or you could try the uninstall utility: https://www.avast.com/en-us/uninstall-utility

That's what I did in the end since there was no other way. Seems to have done the job, I can't see anymore traces of Avast, even in the registry.

Still, I don't see a box to opt out in the customize menu of CCleaner. If you don't opt out on the first window, you're screwed.

Avast 2.jpg

• Moderators

Bundling also allows software to be free. As far as your customize screenshot @arqn that's not where the checkbox is, it's on the first page the installer shows (as per screenshot @APMichael provided)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

1 hour ago, Nergal said:

Bundling also allows software to be free. @arqn@APMichael

That's not the point being debated though , is it.

The point is that it is a secondary (and often unwanted) offering and should be a clear and unabiguous choice, where the user is required to give permission (i.e. default off).

It's not that you are offering the user a sweet ('candy' for those across the pond) but more akin to a drug, something they might enjoy but which could also make them sick and cause harm.