Defraggler take too long

fullmetal

Hi all I am first time using defraggler. My laptop is only used 3 months it . I recently decided to Defrag with defraggler software for the first time defrag and it's took too long. My Hardrive is partition to c and d. My c drive is only 99gb and d is 360gb.yesterday I Defrag c it took long and I have work to do with pc so I cancle it. Today I have free time and Defrag d drive it say 6%fragments and It took over 8 hours to finish it. Is this normal. I am afraid of of Defrag of disk c. C have 25%fragments. How long can total take to Defrag c25%fragments. My laptop spec are i76700hq, ram 12gb ddr3l, WD 500gb 5400rpm,gtx950m window 10 64bit.

• Moderators

check in Settings, Options, Advanced, that you have Stop VSS ticked and click the Define button and tick both options ion there.

also, the main point behind running any defrag process is to remove (or at least reduce) the amount of file fragmentation.

with modern drives, there is little gained in reorganising where files live on the drive, so most of what DF does is overkill.

let DF analyse your drive then go to the File List tab, sort the Size column by descending order, select the top 100 or all the files greater than 50K (whatever rocks your boat), right click those and select Defrag Highlighted.

when done, repeat for the Fragments column.

this way you pick the worst offenders, get the most benefit and have expanded the least effort (both in your time and the drives wear and tear).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I did as you said to disk c and than it fast and stop around 67%and said this file can't move defragment abort. When I analyze again it's around 23% fragments only 2%fragments reduced. Yesterday I Defrag my drive d and restart my computer my c drive space become low from 12gb to 6 gb I deleted some files and it low again from 6gb to 4gb.today I opened pc drive c become 4gb to 11gb. I thought my drive is something worg after defragment. Before defragment my drive don't have like this. Aftert Defrag my drive d benchmark said 1.5mbs.i tried to copying something to drive d and the write speed is also around 30mbs.before Defrag it's up to 80mbs.is defraging make my hdd worse? Do I really need to Defrag disk c after defraging disk d. If I don't Defrag c what is consequences. Both c and d are same drive with partition.

Changes I made to reduce Defraggler run time from more than a day to less than 6 hours for 1TB on Windows 7 

Defrag was super slow prior to doing this.  

Go to Settings > Options > Advanced tab

Check - Save all settings to INI file

Check - Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS volume

Check - Use custom fragmention settings:  - click Define button - check box on both options: Exclude restore point, and, Exclude hibernation file.

• 3 months later...
On 10/20/2017 at 22:09, spiritsoul said:

Changes I made to reduce Defraggler run time from more than a day to less than 6 hours for 1TB on Windows 7 

Defrag was super slow prior to doing this.  

Go to Settings > Options > Advanced tab

Check - Save all settings to INI file

Check - Stop VSS when defragmenting NTFS volume

Check - Use custom fragmention settings:  - click Define button - check box on both options: Exclude restore point, and, Exclude hibernation file.

Thanks! That fixed it for me as well! I thought that 24 hours for defragging a 2TB disk was a bit long =)

• 4 weeks later...

Andavari

I have 24 years in I.T. 

I read your reply to FullMetal. 

Andavari, there hasn't been an MS Windows OS that hasn't included a defrag. The early Windows OS defragger was written by Executive Software, which is now Condusiv.
So, you'd be wrong when you stated to FullMetal with..." OSes like Win10 automatically defragment on there own".

I see this all the time in Forums. Forum Members replying to other Forum Members who are looking for help, making statements as if they are correct answers... that in fact, are incorrect... and without any referencable info to support their assertions. The issue is lack of research. People see a blurb and take it as gospel, when in fact they should always verify all infomation put forth. And it's simple enough to do! 

Here is the referenceable info to my assertion. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026701/windows-defragment-your-windows-10-pc

StageMan, MCSE (since 1995)

Note: MCSE was the acronym for Microsoft Certified System Engineer. We were straight up Systems Engineers that implemented and administered the Windows NT Architecture. MCSE is now the acronym for Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. 

See these references about default & manual scheduling:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/defragment-hard-drive-windows

...  Windows 10, like Windows 8 and Windows 7 before it, automatically defragments files for you on a schedule (by default, once a week).
...  So with SSDs, just let Windows do its thing and don't worry about defragmentation.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8963-change-optimize-drives-schedule-settings-windows-10-a.html

... By default, Optimize Drives, previously called Disk Defragmenter, runs automatically on a weekly schedule

https://davescomputertips.com/windows-10-quick-tips-scheduled-defrag/

... Those of you with keen eyes also noticed that Windows is supposed to run this optimization every week.
... Windows 10 cannot be trusted when it comes to scheduling things ...

Edit:

I didn't notice the date of the original post before I commented.  Still though I think it's worth noting that Andavari was  correct.  Unless of course I have managed to completely miss the point of yet another post. <_< 

With all that said, a user might still wish to defrag manually, maybe on a schedule.  I have used Defraggler off and on for a while, mostly like mta described.

Edited by login123
add comment

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 1 year later...

I've the same problem. Started to defrag my Toshiba P300 3TB (99% fragmented files) this morning and it's running 6,5 hours now and the progress is on 25% 🙄 I see on the map that blocks are moving and changing colors between yellow and green. Files on this drive are big ones, definitely more than +20GB per file as this hard drive is just for Acronis True Image backup images. So annoying it takes sooo long time. All your solutions from this thread has been applied before I've started to defrag this drive. Is it because of the amount of fragmented files and the capacity of this hard drive? Is it normal? Would the time to defrag decrease if the partition was for example just 1TB? Thank you in advance.

• Moderators

Why not just run an Analyze, and then in the file list only defragment files which are fragmented. It goes allot faster doing it that way instead of letting it take forever doing a full consolidation/optimization/fill gaps as some other defrag tools would call it. Then you could either wait for Windows own built in optimization and defrag to run, or manually invoke it if you haven't set Defraggler as the system default defrag tool - that way it won't clash with Windows optimization and defrag.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your time. It sounds ridiculous that the program isn't set to it's best settings per default and a 3TB drive defragmentation process take  ~50 hours 🙄

Should I check all files in the file list or just some of them? Can these files be checked automatically then, right after analyze? I've set Defraggler to automatically defrag all my HDDs whenever they reach 30-60% (depends on disk) once a month so defragmentation isn't anything I'm doing manually.

I'm not using the Windows optimization and defrag and Defraggler is set to replace it.

Edited by don_dolarson

• Moderators

You stated the drive contains your Acronis disk image backups, from my experience if it's a data only drive with no OS installed onto it with the main purpose being to only make backups you end up wasting allot of your time allowing any third party defrag tool to fully optimize it -  unless of course you place a file size limit on what it can and cannot move. Hence the reason I mentioned only defragmenting what's listed in the File List. Windows own built-in optimize and defrag will then attempt to consolidate/optimize/fill gaps on the drive (if scheduled to do so, but it's good to manually invoke it when you want it to run) so you have larger areas of free space, however with Win10 it will only bother with files that are 64MB (yes megabytes) in size or smaller.

As for defragmenting disk image backups it's important to take into consideration that defragmenting them doesn't really give you a performance boost and how big in file size the disk images are takes a long time to defragment them. For instance if I had a 50GB disk image backup with 20 fragments I wouldn't waste one second of my time defragmenting it since those fragments would be 2.5GB in size each, and I especially wouldn't defragment it if it were going to be a "throw away" disk image I'd be replacing with a new one within a 3 month period. I know it's a 180 degree shift in thinking on how to defragment (or how we were taught to do it) however it doesn't unnecessarily waste your time or put hours of stress onto a backup drive.

• 3 months later...

I am trying to run Defraggler V2.22.995 and it is really slow.  Granted I have a large disk.  It is a 29TB RAID 0 that is only about a third full.  Defraggler says that I have 717 files that are fragmented, with 16,842 fragments, and 43% Fragmentation.  After running for 15 hours it is still only 1% finished and it has not even come up with an estimated time to complete.  I checked the resource monitor and the program is only reading and writing at around 6 KB/s.  At that rate, it will take approximately 52.8 years to defrag the drive.  Unfortunately I will be dead by then, but hopefully my grandchildren will be around to see it complete. 

The disk is capable of reading and writing at about 400MB/s.  That is about 66 thousand times faster than the Defraggler program is reading and writing.  I have 192Gig of RAM and 2 - 12 core Xeon processors running at 3.2 GHz.  I have turned off VSS and the other advanced options that are recommended to speed up defrag, but that did not help.  I an running Windows 10 Pro 64bit.  Does anybody have any suggestions, because at this rate, it is totally unusable.

I see recommendations to let windows built-in optimize and defrag routine do the defragging and optimizing, and only use Defraggler to defrag a couple of the worst fragmented files, but that seems to make Defraggler a rather limited tool.

Edited by Hydrad
grammer corrections

• Moderators

Please don't post the same question in two different places. (It just gets confusing for everyone, we can't then see what answers you have already been given on the other post).

One post is enough to be seen, but it may take a while for someone who knows an answer to come along so have patience.

I've already answered how to do quicker defrags in the first post that you made.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Sorry, but the other thread was so old that I didn't know if anyone would be monitoring it any more, so I reposted here, which was basically the same topic, but a much more recent thread.

It seemed that your response was to not use Defraggler to defrag, but to rely on the system to do that,  I was hoping that someone has found a way to make Dfraggelr at least as efficient as the system routines so it can be used for what it is advertised to do.

Edited by Hydrad
Expand response

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hydrad said:

It seemed that your response was to not use Defraggler to defrag, but to rely on the system to do that,  I was hoping that someone has found a way to make Dfraggelr at least as efficient as the system routines so it can be used for what it is advertised to do.

Not at all,

I told you to use defraggler to defrag the fragmented files, trying to defrag the whole of a 24TB disk is going to take hours whatever you use to do it.

I see that you are now doing that and seeing that it ismuch faster as I said.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

With drives getting as big as they are nowadays whole disk defragging is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
Splliting the drive into smaller partitions/drives would obviously help as you could defrag each partition/drive as needed.

Once you start talking terabytes rather than gigabytes it best to just defrag the files, that's what you want to do anyway to speed up read times.

There are two main aims to defragging, and they serve different purposes:

1. Get each file into one piece for (slightly) quicker loading.
  2. Move all files into one contiguous block on the disk to free up disk space, the holy grail to some. (Actually that's consolidation not defragging, and doing it can fragment some files again if you want to 'fill-up' every cluster in the block).

There is also Free Space defragmentation (which helps prevent file fragmentation in the first place) and Smart file placement (which puts groups of related files together, again for faster loading).

You can read about them here, it's old but still relevant:
https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/defragmentation/

So it depends on what you are aiming to do, and TBH with these multi-terabyte drives then freeing up space is not often likely to be an issue.

PS. Windows 10 does weekly automatic optimisation (defragmenting) in the background, unless you have turned it off or set it to a different schedule.

• Moderators

If it's a bought raid NAS setup that came with it's own "OS" or software one would think it would have the necessary defrag tool built in to it (if that's even a thing they bother with) to do it on a schedule or even automatically. Unless of course you're using a homebrewed setup.

One thing is for certain Defraggler is slow, but any defrag tool is going to seemingly take an eternity attempting to fully optimize such a massive amount, I'd personally be very apprehensive attempting to fully optimize a drive with over 1TB of data let alone up to possibly 29TB. Plus as long as it would take I'd imagine it could potentially stress the raid setup with a very long duration of the drives being at high temperature.