What does Speccy's RAM numbers mean?

leuce

G'day everyone

I'm trying to figure out how I can make my old laptop faster.  According to the laptop's specifications, it should be able to handle 667 MHz RAM.  However, Speccy reports the RAM in both slots as PC2-5300 (333 MHz).

Does that mean:

a - the maximum my laptop can take is actually 333 MHz, or

b - the RAM chips currently installed have a top speed of 333 MHz, or

c - the RAM chips are currently running at 333 MHz (but could potentially run faster)

d - something else?

I'm trying to determine if my laptop has too slow RAM in it (and consequently if I might get a different, better result if I buy new RAM chips that are specifically rated as "667 MHz").

In other words, does Speccy report the current level of usage, or the actual capability of the RAM chips?

Thanks

Samuel

• Moderators

first up, everything is fine.

you have DDR RAM, that first D is for Double Data Rate.

so if your memory has a data rate of 667, that makes the DRAM cell array clock 333MHz.

there's plenty of info out there on the web - let Goggle be your friend. :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 4 months later...

For the layman, Speccy would benefit in 'sprucing up the reporting' by including clock speed AND data transfer rate (even if it is basic math). The layman would also benefit from a clickable '?' button that opens a pop-up with details of clock/data rate. It's obviously not the 1st time, nor the last time, that this question will arise.

AND ... in this way, 'mta' would (perhaps) not have to REPEATEDLY answer the same question over and over again. Yes, I bothered to do a 'search' on the subject and came across several threads of the same. Thank you 'mta' for taking the time to answer - unlike others and their RTFM replies!

BTW, HWiNFO reports DRAM clock speed similarly. It is able to display the memory type (vs Speccy's unknown) and its table of specs (Freq|CL|RCD|RP|RAS|RC|Ext.|V) enabled me to relate to other data points - it facilitated my understanding.