Avast Update Not Working

login123

Starting a couple of days ago the updater for Avast started behaving very oddly, now it just sort of gums up, turns Avast off, and stops. 

I have lots of documentation & pictures, wanna see'em?  Huh, do ya, huh, huh, do ya?  :lol:

There are quite a few references around the net, nothing definitive.

I have posted a problem description on their forum, nothing yet, but will continue to watch it.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=207365.0

For now Avast auto updates are disabled. That stops the locking up.  

Pity, Avast was the only software that I ever allowed to auto update.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I can't use Avast at all due to it being incompatible with Sentinel HASP License Manager.

In Panda Free Antivirus if I try to manually invoke an update it will cause the service for it to crash and freeze the Panda GUI, and then it also causes Windows to freeze for several minutes before it's responsive again -- the crashing service gets logged in Event Viewer. If Panda is left to do everything all on its own there's never an issue.

Some of the antivirus' that state they still support XP don't really act like it sometimes.

• Moderators

@login123

I read your post over at Avast forum  ( you gave all relevant info as usual :)) but as you say, you got very little feedback. Perhaps it's just a certain subset of users affected and tehy don't really want to talk about it. Keep at it :lol:

I see there was a similar post in January

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=195689.0

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

@login123

I read your post over at Avast forum  ( you gave all relevant info as usual :)) but as you say, you got very little feedback. Perhaps it's just a certain subset of users affected and tehy don't really want to talk about it. Keep at it :lol:

I see there was a similar post in January

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=195689.0

" all relevant info as usual" . . . :lol: :lol:  Yep, regular chatterbox, I guess.  Just wanted to give all the clues I could think of.

Thanks for that link.  We'll see what happens here and there. 

Noticed that this problem has occurred several times over the years, and affects win xp thru win 10, but not everyone. 

The only pattern I saw was that most of the posters were XP'ers and only fewer used later OSs.

@ Andavari, thanks.  I knew you didn't use Avast, but others on here do (I sent a PM) and if they aren't "shadowed" when that update starts it will cause a bit of trouble. I may give Panda a try. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

im not an avast-user but an avg-user ;)

since avast take over avg and a "few" updates i cant download emails with secure connection ssl is enabled (i mean all email providers have this access)

i have also write comments at the avg-forum but no helpfull answers yet -and no suitable updates

perhaps avast doesnt know about email-downloads... B)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

@ trium.

I think something is wrong with the update mechanism.

Maybe the wide scope of the problem will make them fix it quicker.  Eventually they will fix it, imho. 

In the meantime this system is running without updates, but is "shadowed" so maybe any nasties will be deleted on restart.  :)

• Moderators

In the meantime perhaps reboot your broadband modem and see if that remedies anything.

As for you giving Panda a try you'll have to have Microsoft .Net Framework v4.0 already installed and with all security patches for it applied before attempting to install Panda. If you do try it I'd highly recommend making a system image before changing your current configuration since it's known to fail allot during install, and it's also known to fail during registration.

Thanks, Andavari, I already have net 4.0.  Also, will back everything up.

OK, another oddity to consider. 

Avast updates here are now set to manual, so I tried a manual definitions update and it worked as usual.  Later tried right clicking on the tray icon. 

That worked also, showed "already up to date". 

Now if that will just work with Powershadow off . . . :huh: