avg buys ewido

hazelnut

• Moderators

Official press release

This should answer the antispyware question, well actually anti-malware question, it's quoted from the official press release:

The software's pro-active approach to fighting malware, based on advanced detection methods, will be a significant component of the next generation scanning engine for AVG security products.

Perhaps bad because one less competitor.

But AVG has a freeware antivirus, so maybe they make a freeware Ewido?

Then that would be a good thing. :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

So if they combine Ewido and AVG but keep Ewdio's engine and add AVG's virus deffs then this could be an unstoppable program. Ewido is one of those programs you forget how hard it is to be without. It removes some infections that were previously a nightmare to remove rather effortlessly.

• Moderators

So if they combine Ewido and AVG but keep Ewdio's engine and add AVG's virus deffs then this could be an unstoppable program.

Maybe, maybe not, image if it only takes the disabling of a key component to bypass the whole thing. But since we don't know what will become of the merger all we can do is speculate.

Malware writters will always figure a way around even the toughest of defenses with the OS itself being the biggest downfall of all. It's like a professional thief; sure you lock all your doors and windows on the first floor of the house, but that open window with curtains flapping in the wind on the second floor adjacent to a tree in the yard offers another slightly more difficult entry point.

Yes! ewido is a great app. I have the paid version and several other top apps and it was the only one that found and removed Tacoda cookies. Had never heard of them and found on their forum how they ride the back of other cookies and that the only way they can be removed (besides with ewido) is to allow third party cookies from the Tacoda site (now that reminds me of a MS maneuver!).

Version 4 looks good, hope it stays as good as it is now.

Where do you get version 4? I am still 3.5...

AVG is not that great; so this may hinder, even cripple ewido.

I hope they won't bundle AVG and Ewido into one product; I like to have my choice anti-virus and anti-spyware products. Also some users have corporate-wide anti-virus ware installed, and multiple a-v wares on one computer is definitely not a good idea!

Since I use AVG Free as my antivirus, I thought this sounded pretty sweet, until I read this:

...the business model is to offer upgrades to paying licensees, with the additional features of firewall and anti-spyware as reasons to go for the upgrade.

So yeah, it looks like if you want all of that antispyware goodness, you'll have to break down and spend some money. :(

Thanks for the info, hazelnut.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

so if i am understanding correctly, AVG will become something like Norton's Security Suite. except better.

One could possible say that, they already have AVG plus 'AVG+Firewall' however with Ewido's engine and AVG's ICSA Certified antivirus Grisoft will be in a very strong position for a very long time. And something else the acquistion of Ewido may actually help it as a brand and in popularity being alongside a respected antivirus company.

• Moderators

Ok I got the link... and I'm not happy.

This thing crashed the first time I used it, and then while it was scanning I could barely surf the internet and use mediamonkey to listen to music at the same time. This thing isn't ready for public use, which is why its just a beta.

I would wait untill the final version before downloading it if you haven't already got it.

They better not have ruined one of my favorite programs. :(