Media Player Classic 1.7.13 is released ......and farewell

hazelnut

• Moderators

v1.7.13, the latest, and probably the last release of our project…

For quite a few months now, or even years, the number of active developers has been decreasing and has inevitably reached zero. This, unfortunately, means that the project is officially dead and this release would be the last one.

…Unless some people step up that is.

So, if someone’s willing to really contribute and has C/C++ experience, let me know on IRC or via e-mail.

Otherwise, all things come to an end and life goes on. It’s been a nice journey and I’m personally pretty overwhelmed having to write this post.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed in any way all these years; Remember, MPC-HC is an 11-year old project.

https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I've been using this for years now.

It's sad the issue they have, although my old XP is happy with the current version. Plays everything including the quite new H265 codec, although my XPosaurus struggles with it. Plays, but in dire slow motion.

Just for info, neither my regularly updated Smart TV nor my BluRay player will recognize that codec yet.

Hazelnut's post caused a minor flurry of software experimenting here.  :D

I also tried a player called MPC-BE, or Media Player Classic - BE, it worked very well.

MPC-BE and MPC-HC seem very similar but I didn't try them very extensively. . 

Both play all the popular file formats. 

Both are available in a .zip or .7z file which you can just extract & run. 

Also, there is a new version of VLC player, v-2.2.6, for x86 and x64, as well as a portable version at the portable apps site.

The 2.2.6 portable version seemed slower, but I didn't give it much of a trial. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

out of curiosity, if VLC plays all known formats, why bother with other players?

is it a XP thing? :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

out of curiosity, if VLC plays all known formats, why bother with other players?

is it a XP thing? :)

Good question. 

It's an old habit, started back in the days when you could be pretty sure that sooner or later some new version would crash or some great software would just disappear. The objective is to have alternatives on hand. 

It has sort of become a hobby (not an obsession, I hope ), trying new softwares or new versions. 

Also, I want to keep xp going as long as possible, so must maintain my own softwares and maintenance files. 

Edit:  Then too, some softwares are just cuter than others.  :lol: 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I was always a fan of Mplayer and used it for years but changed to MPC-HC for it's many more options, and like MPlayer, it's simple UI, small footprint and folder/install size.

Also never fails to play a part downloaded file to check quality. Doesn't matter whether it's a video file or a ZIP/RAR etc.

Cool player.