CCleaner 5.31.6104 erases Mozilla Thunderbird profile

oldgeek

I am running CCleaner on a PC running Windows 10 Pro x64 Creators version. I updated today to CCleaner 5.31.6104 and ran the cleaner. Afterwards I found that Mozilla Firefox had reset, losing my homepage and Thunderbird had lost my profile, asking me to set up my email account from scratch. No emails, no address book.

The only solution was to use Windows Restore, which got everything back. I tried the update to CCleaner again, but it lost my settings again, so something is not good about this update.

I can't see anything in CCleaner settings that might be causing this.

Hello oldgeek,

Yes u are right my Thunderbird lost too all  :unsure:

*Edit i restored the "prefs.js" file and my Data shows up again. But i haved a Backup file from before.

C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\ID.default\prefs.js

Hi everyone,

We are currently looking into this.

Meanwhile, if you are having this problem, please go ahead and uncheck "Last Download Location" from under "Firefox" and/or "Thunderbird" in the Applications tab. 

Thanks

LastDownloadLocation.png

• Moderators
Can somebody help and tell me how to fix the problem with Thunderbird i.e. retrieve email accounts?

I installed new patch v5.31.6105 but there are still no accounts in TB.

This patch can't repair the damage done, only make sure it doesn't occur again.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Blindly install updated version each time.  This morning downloaded updated version, had already read mail on Thunderbird then ran the new ccleaner version and done my HD backups.  Went to mail again before work and was presented with a dictionary page for Thunderbird and the create an account.  Mail blown away totally.  Did my backups after the cleaner so those were shot as well.  Was able to restore from Friday with another laptop, but lost some mail.  Backed up and tested again.  Ccleaner removed all again.  Uninstalled the latest version and put the previous back.  Will have to test the waters from here on out with each new version.  Going to be a lot of unhappy Thunderbird users with this release.

• Moderators

@anyuser,

if you had .6105 and have gone back to a previous version, Piriform have pushed through patch .6105 to fix the TB issue.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I was lucky to have a restore point to go back to, but afterwards I found that my original profile for Thunderbird was still intact. The profile contains emails, address books and other info.

I wonder if the "faulty" CCleaner update makes Thunderbird look in the wrong place for the profile? You can check where the profile is stored by going to "Help" in Thunderbird, then to "Troubleshooting Information". There you will see Profile Folder. If you click on Open Folder, you should see the location.

The path, in my case, is: This PC> Local Disc (C:)> Users> xxxx> roaming> Thunderbird.Profiles           xxxx is your name

So if you find you have no account after the update, first check the path above. Then check the Troubleshooting information in Thunderbird to see if it points to the same place. If not, then move the profile to that location.

It's just an idea, not sure if it will work, but worth a try if you have lost your Thunderbird account and don't have a backup?

Grmbl, thanks I had a backup one day old, it erased WITHOUT I checked it

• TB
  • Firefox
  • Chrome

extension included !

And release note tells

v5.31.6105 (13 Jun 2017)

- Improved Windows 10 Creators support 
- Improved Firefox History cleaning 
- Improved Chrome Cache and History cleaning 
- Optimized Scheduling functionality (Professional only) 
- Improved high-DPI support 
- Minor GUI improvements 
- Minor bug fixes

IT should be corrected !  I don't think it was MINOR bugs

Hi all, newbie here, i have just joined the forum because of this problem, i run seamonkey, and have done for years, i lost all my email setting after installing the latest ccleaner, i too had to revert to get my settings back quick,

i see there may be a patch, but i wonder when a new update will be coming out to make it easier .

• Moderators

it sucks the number of programs that v5.31.6105 seems to have creamed - and has highlighted a pretty damn half-hearted effort by both the coding and testing teams.

I can only assume butts have been suitably reamed.

but from a positive perspective, it seems a lot of you have a good backup regime in place and those that didn't - this is why - sh!t happens.  :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

well I found out it's not about ccleaner (I wasn't using it to clean anything from tb anyway),
there are problems with this update regarding imap folders as well:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/15/thunderbird-52-2-0-update-issues-with-imap-folders/
(same thing happened to me, I managed to fix it restoring my profile multiples times over the new one)

well I found out it's not about ccleaner (I wasn't using it to clean anything from tb anyway),

there are problems with this update regarding imap folders as well:

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/15/thunderbird-52-2-0-update-issues-with-imap-folders/

(same thing happened to me, I managed to fix it restoring my profile multiples times over the new one)

I don't use IMAP and I had the disappearing profile problem as well, so CCleaner was faulty here.

If you have a backup of your Thunderbird profile (you should always make backup regularly anyway), simply replace the pref.js from your profile with the one from your backup, everything will be back on next Thunderbird launch.

Maybe manual editing of pref.js is also possible, it's a text file, but I don't know what part CCleaner modifies.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_profile_that_suddenly_disappeared