SKIP UAC NO LONGER WORKS (Windows 10 Creator Edition)

UAC Pops up the Allow Dialog ever since the Creator Update was pushed to the machine.

Changing the CCleanerSkipUAC Task config to run as Win7 is no longer an available option, as that setting is grayed out and can't be changed anymore. (yes, Task Scheduler was run as an admin, and the account is an admin account)  This is the pinned fix for this problem with Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

Furthermore, the suggestion to uninstall CCleaner, reboot, and reinstall, does not work around the situation either. (many other posts, and a former solution for my machine last year if I remember correctly)

This seems to be a new case of an old issue rearing its head again, per windows update changes. (forgive starting a new topic...none of the old suggestions are valid anymore...at least for my machines)

Windows 10 Home Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.332)
CCleaner Pro v5.30.6065 (64-bit)

• Moderators

I had this problem In the past with the Aniversary Update. 

The solution I found then was to make the CC folder an exception in Windows Defender.

Defender has changed the way it works with the Creators Update.

For instance Defender will now still do periodic scans even if you have a 3rd party AV.

So Defender may be the problem again.

(I still have CC as an exception in Defender and have no problem with CC and the CU).

If you have a 3rd party AV then make CC an exception in that as well as Defender.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Defender has changed the way it works with the Creators Update.

For instance Defender will now still do periodic scans even if you have a 3rd party AV.

this should be able to be turned off.

click Start, type in 'defender' (without quotes), click on Windows Defender Security Centre, in left hand column, click the shield (3rd icon down), click the down arrow icon to the right of Windows Defender Antivirus options, slide Periodic Scanning to Off.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I wasn't implying that this scanning was the cause of the UAC problem.

I was just giving it as a "for instance" to show that Microsoft have changed how Windows Defender works following the Creators Update.

What else have they changed behind the Defender front end that you can't see that easily?

This is going to be an ongoing problem for third party developers with Windows 10 releasing major updates every six or 12 months.

Just when you have worked out what they did last time that has upset your programme and you manage to patch it, MS will change Win 10 yet again.

Edge has been the main culprit for this up to now, it's been constantly changing since Win 10 was released.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

As I stated in the sticky, my experience is that after creator update I had to change back from windows 7 task to windows 10

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Of course, none of the old ways to work around this issue work anymore. That's why I started a new topic.

"As I stated in the sticky, my experience is that after creator update I had to change back from windows 7 task to windows 10"

The task in mine is set to Windows 10 already, with no way to change it otherwise, thus this suggestion no longer works.

"The solution I found then was to make the CC folder an exception in Windows Defender."

Where and how is this done? Windows Defender is disabled on my machine because I am using a 3rd party virus checker. Windows Defender is more complicated since the Update and does indeed do other stuff, so being disabled (as in the past) isn't what it used to be.

Regardless, this is a bug in CCleaner since the function/setting to get around UAC does not work.

• Moderators

Where and how is this done? Windows Defender is disabled on my machine because I am using a 3rd party virus checker. Windows Defender is more complicated since the Update and does indeed do other stuff, so being disabled (as in the past) isn't what it used to be.

Well if you have a 3rd party AV installed and thus Defender disabled then I'm not sure it's much use making it an exception in Defender anyway.

But odd things can sometimes happen with Win 10, so just for info.

In Creators Update the Defender exclusions are set in the Windows Security Centre.

• Open the Security Centre, (Start menu>apps>Windows Defender Security Centre).
  • Click on the shield icon to bring up the 'Virus & threat protection' screen.
  • Click on 'Virus & threat protetection settings'.
  • Scroll down to 'Add or remove exclusions'.

Have you tried making CC an exception in whatever AV you are using?

Why this should change how the Skip UAC works I don't know, but it does sometimes (not always) work.

Sorry. Tried those.  None made any difference.

Why should these change how the Skip UAC works? I don't know either and I assume they shouldn't.  After years of using CCleaner at the request of the the third-party AV support and with using Defender for a few months with no issues it does seem like these (manually created exceptions) should not in fact be necessary.  

A new version of CCleaner just came in now, and there was yet another Windows 10 Update late yesterday that forced a reboot. We are still at square one, pending one more reboot.

I will post here if the latest CCleaner fixes the issue. We know the last Windows Update did not.

Forgive my slow responses. Even though I'm following this thread I'm not getting any email notifications when anyone posts. (double checking my account now)

WOOHOO!!!

CCleaner Pro v5.31.8105 (64-bit)  does seem to have this issue fix.  I got no UAC prompt after the reboot right now. Hope it doesn't come back  :) 

(Unrelated note - My account settings had ALL the notification checks off - every one. No wonder I wasn't getting email notifications. Not sure how that happened, but I've reset them to my prefs, so I hope that issue is also fixed.)

DANG IT DANG IT DANG IT

False alarm, sort of.  While the UAC prompt did not pop up when rebooted and logging into my account, it DID show up when logging onto my wife's account. We are both administrators, so that's not the issue.

CCleaner is set for all users.

Sorry. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is NOT fixed, at all. After a reboot it's back for all users, all profiles, on the machine.

The setting is checked "ignore" for all users.  I've tried changing the settings to apply to All Users, and each user separately. 

Looks like WIn 10 Creator is still a problem.

• Moderators

Works fine for me and many others using skipuac and windows 10. Can you post screenshots of the ccleaner task in task scheduler

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Attached screen shot as requested.

There are two user accounts on this machine. After booting it doesn't matter which account is logged on to. First time logging in the UAC dialog will request permission, even if the other account has already clicked OK.

Furthermore,  the setting to skip UAC will sometimes uncheck itself, in one account or the other, or both. Is it usually checked to skip in both. Something outside normal user actions is corrupting the setting.  I just checked now and it is indeed unchecked again. The setting is not sticking in either user account....yet, when it's checked the UAC dialog will still prompt for permission.

There more than one issue going on. 1) asks for UAC permission when the setting is checked, and 2) setting gets unchecked at random times. 

• Moderators

It looks like the task is only set for nancy. Both settings and task are user dependent. When nancy is signed in to the pc, it should skip uac

That seems to be a conundrum, since it does not skip when Nancy nor I are logged on. As mentioned, it doesn't matter who is logged on. I've checked for both.

Furthermore, CCleaner was installed when logged on to my account, not Nancy's.  Task Scheduler was popped open when logged on to my account, not Nancy's. Nancy is not logged on currently. We are both admins.

I have tried the settings to be for all three options available, Current User Only, All users, and Selected Users. Doesn't seem to make a hill of beans which one is selected. It's currently set to All Users, and that's the way it's been most of the time. I have made sure the settings for both Nancy and me are set exactly the same across the board, with the understanding being that the settings are indeed user specific, even when All users is selected.

This is frustrating, because I have CCleaner installed on three machines (one is currently dead, having been killed by the Win10 Creator Update...grrrr).  Only this one laptop has had issues with CCleaner. It's no different than the others except that it does have two accounts. I think it's obvious the problem is related to multiple accounts.

What to check next?  :)