Does CCleaner clean the "C:\Windows\Temp" folder?

tom_wgfit

Hey all.

I've used CCleaner for a long while now, at least since 2006, and I absolutely love it.  Great piece of software, I recommend it to all my clients and use it on my personal computers at home.  I'd like to get my work in on it, if we could budget for it (and assuage our I.T. manager that we can still track/log stuff even with your fancy domain version installed). 

In any case, I was just wondering what the official word is on whether or not CCleaner cleans up the "C:\Windows\Temp" folder in modern versions of Windows.  I find that, between that folder and the "C:\Windows\WinSxS" folder (which I am not asking about), those folders can balloon to absolutely preposterous sizes.  I was wondering if CCleaner deletes files in the "C:\Windows\Temp" folder?

Testing appears to confirm what you said.  My "C:\Windows\Temp" directory ballooned to 63GB on one of my computers, and 76GB (WTF, WINDOWS) on the other.  Ridiculous.  Microsoft's built-in disk cleanup utility was useless, saved me all of 3GB of space.

CCleaner be like, "hey yo, i'll save you like 80 of them gigabytes" and then I was like, "yea let's do that."  So thanks, Piriform.

• Moderators

windows' built in cleaner should also remove all but the locked ones.

but it needs to be told to do so.

to set it so, use the /sageset switch

to run it with those settings, use the /sagerun switch

so you would use cleanmgr  c:  sageset:1        (the 1 can be whatever number you like, up to 64,000 and something)

then tick all the boxes in the pop up window.

that'll save your choices.

then you type cleanmgr  /sagerun:1  whenever you want a full clean

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

i mean, not the subfolders in Windows\temp.

you can make it with the include-option.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all.

I was wondering if CCleaner deletes files in the "C:\Windows\Temp" folder?

i have try it again and ccleaner dont clean C:\Windows\Temp on my w8.1 64bit

it works only with include-option (all files in this folder + subfolder)

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"