Version 5.29 Ccleaner Windows XP Pro installation

Mainman407

Hi all;

Ccleaner has been working on my Windows XP Pro (SP3) system ever since it was released. Yet, just the other day I saw that there was a new version (v5.29), so I downloaded it from Piriform website. However, as soon as I installed the software a dialog box pops up informing me that Ccleaner had initiated an illegal access. I wrote the message down in its entirety but have misplaced it. Anyway no matter what I did I could not get Ccleaner v5.29 or any of the  previous versions to work.

So, I decided to contact Piriform Support to see if they could make heads or tails regarding this Application Error. Of course it was an automated answering service. Thus I was asked to leave my name and number and someone would call me back.

A few moments someone returned my call, the man that I was speaking with said his name was James Bradford and that he was with Global Online Services. He said that he needed permission to access my computer to determine what the problem might be. So, reluctantly, I gave my permission.

Mr. Bradford entered the Event System Log, as I was viewing as well, and told me that my Nretwork had been taken over and the Event Viewer had logged 995 or so issues, and this is one of the reasons I getting the Error message from Ccleaner. 

I watched Mr. Bradford remove my Antivirus software, Malwarebytes, I/O Bits software and a few others. He also told me I could not use the "FREE" versions of any Antivirus software (I had the free version of AVG Antivirus, and a paid subscription of Vipre Antivirus), which I thought was strange because either of these antivirus softwares were creating any problems before.

I am using my wife's Windows 7 Pro system to submit this POST, but the system that was actually experiencing the problem with Ccleaner was my Windows XP Pro (SP3) system. The Motherboard is a GX-720A with a 1.2GHz processor and 3-Gig of RAM. I know, I know, it's  nothing

close to a 2.33-GHz system.

Mr. Bradford, with Global Online Services, charged me $79.90 to "CLEAN" my machine. The odd part is: I just downloaded a trail version of an Event Log Analyzer and it reported 580 Event Log issues. 

Anyway, I looking for a good reliable Event Log Analyzer Monitor, one that that can be TRUSTED and will not nickle and dime me and does nothing more that report the Event Log issues they install so they can tell the customer how many issues they corrected.

Help! .... Help!

• Moderators

It sounds to me that you have fallen for a "Tech support scam".

As Hazelnut says- where did you get that number?

No real tech support would remove your AV and other anti-malware programmes without reinstalling them once they had finished.

I would immediately get your PC checked out to see if "Mr Bradford" has kindly installed any malware nasties on your PC for you.

Take a look at item 10 here for where to get free help checking out and cleaning up your PC

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=4

Did you have a paid subscription to MalwareBytes? Are you already a member of their forum?

You might pick them from that list of helpers, if so heres a quick link to get you started

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/9573-im-infected-what-do-i-do-now/

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

It sounds to me that you have fallen for a "Tech support scam".

It does, and probably was a scam. The Event Log Viewer is one of their tricks to swindle you out of money.

You should never let anyone remotely into your computer for support unless it's directly from the PC manufacturer - but even then it would be very rare for them to even suggest to allow it.

i did it one time

one version of my antivirus avg free didnt work on my w8.1 in the past. so i was going to the avg-forum and told my issue. I had to download a special remote-software from the site and then I could watch what the employee has done.

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

And just to add, presumably you use a credit/debit card to pay?

Get it cancelled before they also clean your account out, or rack up a huge credit card bill.

For anyone who wants to see what one of these scams looks like there is a video here of when a MalwareBytes security researcher got cold called and played along with one, and recorded it all.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/malwarebytes

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I did a similar google search after reading the OP, and the very first hit that was not Piriform gave a prominent contact number.

(I won't give it here).

Putting this number back into google came up as 'Tech Support' for various and sundry applications, Microsoft, Ccleaner, Gmail, hushmail, Outlook, Norton Security, AVG, Mcafee, Trend Micro, Kapersky, etc., etc.

All listed from various websites.

Must be a good company if they are doing tech support for all these major players. post-73689-0-00853500-1492768245.gif

Sorry mainman407, I'm not laughing at you but at the scammers.

It can't be nice to be caught out like that, which is one reason I posted a link to that video so hopefully ohers won't get caught.

• Moderators

Thing is with data breaches that expose customer data, such as from a PC manufacturer can give hackers a long list to sell off to scammers, then they have your name, address, phone number, email, and even the PC model you own.