CCleaner has stopped working

greta23

I use Win 7 and I have recently got problems with my CCleaner free version which I have used for several years. It now stops working saying "CCleaner har slutat fungera" = CCleaner has stopped working (or similar). I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the latest version but still cannot get it working.

• Moderators

Do you have mozilla - compact database checked off? Currently (.27 and .28 ccleaner) there's a known bug in that checkbox

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Well, I don't understand the compact database thing. How could I find that checkmark?

Btw, this is what I get when I try to run CC:

Beskrivning:
  Crash

Problemsignatur:
  Problemhändelsens namn:    CCleaner crash report
  OS-version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Språkvariant-ID:    1053

More info on the crash:

Problemsignatur:
  Problemhändelsens namn:    APPCRASH
  Programnamn:    CCleaner64.exe
  Programversion:    5.28.0.6005
  Programtidsstämpel:    58b9ab00
  Namn på felmodul:    ntdll.dll
  Modulens version:    6.1.7601.23677
  Tidsstämpel för felmodul:    589c99e1
  Undantagskod:    c0000005
  Undantagsförskjutning:    000000000004b2f5
  OS-version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Språkvariant-ID:    1053
  Ytterligare information 1:    346d
  Ytterligare information 2:    346dbafd9e8c66a091e7fe0b5f15b06d
  Ytterligare information 3:    b684
  Ytterligare information 4:    b684a610a62935bf308ee8c429a3bf0e

• Moderators

Applications tab is where you find the checkbox for mozilla -compact database

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

If you also use a Chrome/Chromium browser also untick/disable the Compact Databases for it as well.

These are located in: Cleaner > Applications

Then they're under the browser name at the bottom, example: Firefox

• 1 month later...

Well, is there anybody who could give me some clue what to do with my non-working copy of CCleaner V5.30 ? I cannot reach the database as I cannot open CCleaner.

What happened after having uninstalled and reinstalled it was: I got a box saying CCleaner V5.30 Setup Completed and next second a new dialogue box saying "CCleaner has stopped working".

I really don't know what to do. And as I told I have used CCleaner for many years without having problems. Only problem was having problems to find the download of the free version.

Many thanks for all ideas!

• Moderators

@greta,

option 1;

uninstall current version

go into the Program Files folder for CC and remove all files (copy your .ini file if you use it to remember settings)

reboot the PC

download latest version from here; https://www.piriform...ccleaner/builds

install that and fingers crossed (if still no luck, try the Portable or Slim build from that same download page)

option 2;

try installing CC with the PC reboot in Safe Mode

then run CC (while still in Safe Mode).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I tried the suggestion sent by MTA. I chose "CCleaner - Installer Standard installer". After completed install I got the message "Ccleaner v5.30 Setup Completed". And then: The application Ccleaner has quit unexpectedly".

I will of course try the other install files as well. But I came to think of - could there be any malware or virus attacking the Ccleaner? I run some antiprograms and so far I have not found any malware etc.

• Moderators

my idea behind doing the install and running of CC from Safe Mode was that if you did have malware or the like, then they shouldn't affect your CC usage when in Safe Mode as only the most critical Windows processes (or most stubborn malware) would still be running from Safe Mode.

first hurdle, let's get the sucker installed and running, at least initially, from Safe Mode. :)

then let's figure out the best version for continual future use, most likely the Portable build.

• Moderators

What anti-virus are you using?

When you open your Task Manager (show processes from all users) do you see any mention of CCleaner?

What happens when you uninstall CCleaner.. reboot... and then install the SLIM build from here

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

MTA, OK! I will return after having done that.

Hazelnut: I am using MSE, MBAM Premium and Super AntiSpyware Free. Task mgr: Ccleaner doesn't show under headline Programs. But for a moment it was found under "Processes". I had managed to start CCleaner - it showed Ccleaner64.exe as running - then the cleaner shut down and the filename disappeared. I will start with MTAs suggestion and then return to you.

MTA: I eventually chose the Portable build (Slim build wasn't there). I got a zipfile (in the temp folder) containing lang (folder), ccleaner.exe, ccleaner64.exe, License.txt and portable.dat. What are the instructions for installing? 

• Moderators

MTA: I eventually chose the Portable build (Slim build wasn't there). I got a zipfile (in the temp folder) containing lang (folder), ccleaner.exe, ccleaner64.exe, License.txt and portable.dat. What are the instructions for installing? 

Unzip/extract the files to the location of your preference, (optionally) delete the lang files you don't need (If your system is english you can delete the entire lang folder

• Moderators

in case you aren't up on the whole 'portable' thing, they don't need to be installed, the .EXE file is all you need.

so assuming you may get more portable software one day, I would make a folder somewhere, say in your Documents folder called, Portable Apps (or similar).

copy the ccleaner64.exe file into that folder (assuming you have a 64bit OS) then right click that file and choose Send To, then Desktop and that'll create a shortcut there for you.

as to the Slim builds, Piriform has always delayed its release on purpose by a few days whenever a new version is released.

Well now it works! I downloaded the portable version, then made a folder in my Documents folder called PortableApps, then copied the ccleaner64.exe file into that folder and made a shortcut from the desktop to that file. Just like MTA suggested. Thank you MTA and all others involved for the lucky outcome of this issue!

Only question now: What would be the best version for continual future use and how do I update it the best way?

• Moderators

great news greta, glad it worked for you.

really, the best version is the one that 'just works', some like the normal, some like the lighter Slim, some it's the no nonsense Portable.

for you, it seems to be the Portable too.  "if it works, don't fix it"

as to updates, again whatever works - but also, sh!t happens, what works today may not always work.

so either install over the top of the current version using the update link in the bottom right of CC, or get it yourself from the Builds page.