Has anyone used any of the Freemake programs

razz

• Moderators

I have back when they were relatively new a few years ago, they used to be good but now it's an adware minefield so I would completely avoid them.

All of their software runs extremely heavy on a system with high resources which will tax a system and your system fan(s) will be screaming loudly to cool your CPU, even their video downloader has the same results which I don't understand whereas it's sort of understandable for their video converter since that is a system taxing process but still very heavy running programs.

they used to be good but now it's an adware minefield so I would completely avoid them.

:o   That can't be good, so no Freemake for me!

Actually, the reason I was wondering is I've been trying to figure out an easy way to download videos and music from YouTube.  As far as MP3s is concerned, I found an easy option ( http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ ). You just copy the URL into the field and it converts the video to MP3 in about 1 second and then you download, which takes about 3 seconds.  Now I just need to find an easy way to download videos.

It's also lightweight, doesn't use much RAM or resources at all and just plain works!

I just downloaded it, grabbed 2 videos I wanted and it worked great - thanks for the recommendation!   :)

I tried them with Powershadow running.  Makes them easy to get rid of if they are no good. 

These are the notes I kept. Sorry, don't remember a thing beyond what I wrote then. 

my notes aug 2016 
- phones out at install and startup
- runs very heavy, about 81% of CPU
- adds branding to beginning & end of vid ??
- no options about installation
- CAREFUL has opencandy ??
- doesn't like wmv files
- CAREFUL, installer has OpenCandy in terms of service agreement
- outpost warns 3 times about phoneouts
- CAREFUL Avast pops on "Freemake Audio Converter 1.1.8" the full version ??

my notes dec 2014:  
- CAREFUL, conduit toolbar

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I just downloaded it, grabbed 2 videos I wanted and it worked great - thanks for the recommendation!   :)

I always grab the 720p HD (and rarely the 1080p HD) MP4 extension since the PlayStation 3 which I only use as a video player now plays the videos flawlessly.

If you use Avast AV > Avast safe-zone browser has a built in video down-loader extension that works well with youtube video's > (mp4) 720p HD 

- CAREFUL has opencandy ??

- CAREFUL, installer has OpenCandy in terms of service agreement

- outpost warns 3 times about phoneouts

- CAREFUL Avast pops on "Freemake Audio Converter 1.1.8" the full version ??

- CAREFUL, conduit toolbar

Thanks for the info login.  Your notes support Andavari's comment : "it's an adware minefield".

If you use Avast AV > Avast safe-zone browser has a built in video down-loader extension that works well with youtube video's > (mp4) 720p HD 

Thanks craigathus, good to know if I go back to using Avast in the future.