Windows Vista "SP2"

craigathus

Been thinking about stopping windows from checking for updates since it has sp2 and theres no more support for vista anymore :unsure: 

The only thing is windows security center is going to complain every time I start my PC!

Is it worth keeping windows update enabled ? just to stop the nagging ? 

• Moderators

I have win updates disabled on the xp machine that I keep running.

On this old XP box I went one step further:

Administrative Tools > Services > Automatic Updates (I set it to Disabled)

The only thing is windows security center is going to complain every time I start my PC!

im too lazy to start my vista-pc ;-) i mean there is it:

System Control -> Control Center -> on the left -> Maintenance Center Settings -> remove the check mark on "Windows Update"

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

On this old XP box I went one step further:

Administrative Tools > Services > Automatic Updates (I set it to Disabled)

Thanks for the info guy's  :)

I'v done the same as Andavari 

• Moderators

I forgot to mention I also disabled Security Center from warning me about Automatic Updates being turned off.

Malwarebytes will want to remove that disable since malware can also do the same, it see's it as threat so I have to exclude it in Malwarebytes since I myself did the system modification.

This is what I did maybe different in Vista though, I'm not for sure, but I get no warnings from Security Center:

Click image to enlarge:
post-26-0-23418200-1491357564_thumb.png

Edited by Andavari

there is not such a easy way as in xp or 7 to deactivate the warnings from the security center in vista.

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

the 1. easy way is as hazelnut used. (deactivate windows update -not the service, one click at the taskbar to close the warning in the taskbar)

the 2. easy way is to disable all warnings from vista security center.

--> right on the security center --> change the security center notification method --> dont send notification and dont display the icon (not recommended)

vistasicherheiylxu5dt48b.jpg

specially for notifications about windows update, there is no option available in vista.

vistasicherhei9q0bvzjiod.jpg

but for the other security option like firewall, virusprotection, spywareprotection there are a option to disable the security center warnings.

for ex.:

vistasicherheio2ye4gq3jm.jpg

i have another software installed and monitoring itself.

the status of spyware protection is not monitored by the security center, and you will not receive any warning.

ofcourse, another way is to disable the services --> windows update, security center, firewall (if you have another) ect.

... after 2 years of retirement for my vista it needs 2 hours (with 100 % cpu utilization) for searching updates >130

with a few updates vista means to me, a restart would be necessary

but i dont need a new 2 hours session for the other last 120 <_<B)