Computer suppliers

Pennsy_Nut

I hope that title is a good one. What I'd like to hear about is which computer do you use, why, and which did you have trouble with? I have a Lenovo for 6 years, it came with Windows 8, and I updated to 8i. And now have Windows 10. All updated online. No CD's. No manuals. All done on the PC itself. I even had the dreaded blue screen. And it came with a solution that reinstalled Windows 10, saved all my files, but I had to re-install Firefox, Chrome, Thunderbird, C Cleaner,etc. But what I am considering myself lucky with is that fact that I have not had to take it to a guru and/or spend any more money on it. And today (knock on wood) it is functioning like a PC should. I have had trouble in the past with Gateway/Windows ME, and I currently use a HP printer/AIO that is a constant headache. So will probably get a Canon or such next time. You may comment on that too. Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

As for a printer....I have a AIO HP 5610v....that I've had since 2004. It's like a time x ... it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It's been with me since Vista came out. All though I had to wait for a few months for a driver/software package to be released for each MS OS release. It's worked perfectly....only complaint I have is that it goes through some color ink. That's because of the single color cartridge it has. 

• Moderators

each person would have their own personal opinion and what works best for them.

ask 5 people - get 5 different opinions.

that's the thing with personal computing - it's personal!   :)

as a general rule, OEM units are not so good value for money and you are locked into features you may not need/use unless you can configure them like, say, from Dell.

building your own is usually better on all fronts; money, specs, maintainability, upgradability and of course satisfaction - providing you know how to use a screwdriver!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

HP AIO printers/scanners = Frustration in my book, all on the software side though because the hardware is actually good. Nothing made me madder than going to print a document and the HP printer wanted to do some maintenance for about 60 seconds - this happened almost everytime I wanted to print something. Now I use Kodak AIO printers/scanners and don't have such frustrations anymore.

HP AIO printers/scanners = Frustration in my book, all on the software side though because the hardware is actually good. Nothing made me madder than going to print a document and the HP printer wanted to do some maintenance for about 60 seconds - this happened almost everytime I wanted to print something. Now I use Kodak AIO printers/scanners and don't have such frustrations anymore.

Ditto for the Canon printers. Sometimes it prints immediately but more often than not it goes through what seems like cleaning cycle. I suppose they are trying to sell more ink. 

As far as computers go, in May 2011 I made the switch from windows to an IMac for 2 reasons. My windows machine was over 10 years old and like me, getting slow. I also wanted to see if there was anything to all the Apple fan boys hype. Five years later I am still using the iMac but I do miss the freedom I with Windows.

• Moderators

My windows machine was over 10 years old and like me, getting slow.

This XP Pro system I'm using is 14 years old without allot of crap running on startup and it's fast. I've seen some modern brand new Windows 10 machines that are slow.

• Moderators

I think when it comes to OEM windows machines there are really only two companies whose hardware I like (talking about laptops): Dell and Lenovo. 

The XPS line from dell and the thinkpad line from lenovo are probably the best built windows machines out there. For the last few years I've built my own windows desktops but on that front I always buy gigabyte or asus motherboards and intel i5/i7 processors. (I have my eye on AMD Ryzen though.) I tend to prefer Nvidia GPUs. My current pc has a GTX 1080 and my wifes has a 1060. Both great cards more than capable of playing any game.

Above everything I will not use a windows computer desktop or laptop without an SSD. Once you have a pc that turns on and loads instantly it is impossible to go back.   

On phones/tablets I'm all in on iOS. It's simply the most stable and user friendly OS for that right now. Also Apple has the best hardware in this area.