Can CC cleaner interfere with Restore Point creation?

lenraphaelcpa

I've used CC cleaner for years and aggressively set it to clean most everything except certain web browser folders like cookies and download history.  

Also over the years, I've always made sure Restore Point is activated and getting created.

But about 90% of the time I need to restore a Point,  the restoration fails.  I'm not trying to rollback a windows update.  Usually a corrupt profile.

Someone suggested that CC cleaner by default is deleting everything in the user_name\appdata\local\temp folder which is needed to create a usable Restore Point.

Same tech said fine to clean the c:\temp folder or even the c:\windows\temp folder.

Len

Oakland CA

• Moderators

G'day Len,

Windows restore points are not kept in any Temp folder; user or system controlled.

So CC will not touch them with its default settings.

What version of Windows are you running?

When restoring a restore point, it takes everything in that restore point and rolls it back into Windows.

You can't tell it to only do user profile and not updates for example. :)

The few times I have used restore points for others, I reckon about half the time they fail, so have always figured them almost useless and no match for a tested backup regime.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Balloon66,

We don't even know if the poster uses Windows 10.

lenraphaelcpa what operating system do you use?

What steps have you used to troubleshoot your corrupt profile issue?

When you say corrupt profile, is it totally corrupt or does it log you on with a temp profile?

What security software do you have on the machine?

Are you the only user?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

The few times I have used restore points for others, I reckon about half the time they fail, so have always figured them almost useless and no match for a tested backup regime.

I think I've used it maybe six times to attempt a "restore" and you're right it does fail half the time making it absolutely useless and untrustworthy. Or worse you think it will undo something for you but for whatever stupid reason what you're trying to undo gets put right back onto the system, as if it had incrementally added it into the restore point.

Trying to restore from a Restore Point fails so often the feature really shouldn't be relied upon by anyone in my opinion, because relying upon it means it won't be of any help at some point when you really need it - just rely upon disk imaging software instead.

That's why I have ERUNT automatically create a daily registry backup, and then I make sure I have a current disk image if I've made significant enough changes, to me significant enough changes means it will take me fifteen or more minutes to undo something or reinstall something, etc., i.e.; it only takes Macrium Reflect a mere five to six minutes to backup my OS drive and then another two or three minutes to verify it (so that's a max of nine minutes) and I can often restore from a disk image significantly faster than trying to fiddle around fixing or undoing something.