windows10 64 bit, Recuva reports "hard drive 2: Unable to determine file system"

noelist

Hi you experts, just started PC this morn and found a notepad text file I had on desk top had dissappeared.

So, bought Recuva professional? and a cd for recovery, cost near £30.

Not much use if it cant check this No2 hard drive, strangely, this PC only has one hard drive, it is a brand new replacement for ex WINXP which died at Christmas, it's an HP 460 a060na, never asked what OS it had in it, too late to take it back, but I am sick of win 10 already, settings I make revert without explanation, get bullied by microsoft to use exclusively their products,.....anyway, ticked all boxes on the recuva, set it to scan, went out when it estimated 2 hours, came back 3 hours later it said 17 hours remaining"estimated", it was 16 per., cent., done...???, so I ended it, tried system restore point....failed due to unknown error...

Well, I am not impressed with Recuva, would like to have seen a setting to recuva simple notepad text docs., but just some fairly unspecific choices......

I would be over the moon if someone can tell me how to accomplish this seemingly simple task to recuva a notepad txt doc.,

would appreciate any assistance, thanks for being here in advance.....

I may require a refund and send it back. well, we'll see, cheers.

PS, notepad text doc. was on desktop when shut down PC last night.

• Moderators

The more you use your computer the less of a chance your file will be intact, however give this a try, it will forgo the hours long scanning you previously experienced:

1. Start Recuva.

2. In the Recuva Wizard select All Files and click Next.

3. Now select In a specific location and click Browse.

4. In the Browse window click the Desktop icon at the top, click OK, and click Next.

5. Now click Start.

Important: If it finds your document do not restore it onto the hard disk you're attempting to restore it from as doing so has the potential to overwrite the original file, instead have it restore to an external media such as a USB Thumb Drive, Portable USB Hard Disk, Floppy, etc.

If it doesn't find your document do the following using a Deep Scan:

1. Start Recuva.

2. In the Recuva Wizard select All Files and click Next.

3. Now select In a specific location and click Browse.

4. In the Browse window click the Desktop icon at the top, click OK, and click Next.

5. Now tick the box in the middle of the Recuva window that reads Enable Deep Scan. Note: This will significantly increase the scanning time, however it may be able to find your document.

6. Now click Start.

Important: If it finds your document do not restore it onto the hard disk you're attempting to restore it from as doing so has the potential to overwrite the original file, instead have it restore to an external media such as a USB Thumb Drive, Portable USB Hard Disk, Floppy, etc.

Hi Andavari, after 22 hrs with deep scan Recuva found my file...but it is unrecoverable, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I will keep Recuva for next time, well I will have a go at doing a back up.

the file just saved me remembering where I put stuff, so not too much of a loss,

I wil just have to make a new list and put a copy on a memory stick I just bought.

thanks for your help Andavari, Cheers.