Installing CC for Android, fun and games.

nukecad

• Moderators

So I decided to put CC on my Android phone.

What a pain it the....

Created a google account. (Didn't already have one).

Went to the play store.

Found Ccleaner, go for the install button.

"Re-enter your password" - OK did that got sent back to the install screen.

Press the install button. Nothing happens.

Press the install button. "please re-enter your password", put it in again.

Get thrown back to the 'My Account' screen. Can't get away from the ***** thing.

Round and round again.

Everything you try just asks for the password again and goes back to the 'My Account' screen.

OK - close the browser and end task on it.

Lets try the Google Shopping app.

Find the icon, put it onscreen, open the app.

As soon as it opens it throws up 'Item not found'. (What **** item?).

Ah, there's a spyglass top right, must be a search box.

Yes- type in ccleaner and get a choice of 5 answers, go for the top one.

A different install page comes up, press on install.

Now it wants me to register a credit card, for a free app. Cancel that.

Get a notification that 'App will be downloaded and installed'.

Close browser and there is a Ccleaner icon onscreen.

Success at last.

I realise that this is probably mostly the Google Play Store messing about, but it was still a pain.

Now have to check out the Ccleaner Android settings, don't want to delete my saved passwords, call logs, or old sms messages by mistake.

Mmm, can't see an option for passwords, need to find and read the documentation.

Oh, there doesn't seem to be any documentation, CCleaner, CCleaner for Mac, CCleaner Network are all there - but nothing for CCleaner for Android.

I may report back later.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Well it ran OK with the settings I made and didn't clear my saved passwords, call logs, or SMS's.

Would still prefer some documentation rather than having to trial and error those options, and others.

Without any documentation it would be easy to clear something you didn't mean to.

For instance just what cleaning would delete the passwords?

Would clearing the data storage of Chrome in the 'Manual cleaning apps' section do it?

The other thing I noticed is that it took several Analyse-Clean cycles to fully clean, and even then the last ##Mb remnants did not clean until the CC app was closed.

(Checked by reopening and analysing straight away, they were gone).

It did remove the cookies for my favourite websites (including this one) so that the layouts are not as I prefer them but have been reset to default.

Fair enough, but it would be nice to be able to exclude these from cleaning as you can in the Windows version.

All in all its on the phone now, but I'm not sure how often I'll be using it until I can work out just what it is doing and what the options do.

Someone at Piriform must have some kind of documentation, even if only the devs so they know what the options are supposed to do.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Wow! Didn't have any such problems like that. Tear your hair out time.

Already having a google account probably helped, and I was never asked to re-enter passwords so I think you're right with Play Store messing you about.

I would agree about having documentation. Something should have been put out to avoid the unwary stumbling about with settings. It took me a while with checking and double checking to make sure I wasn't removing something I didn't want removed.

I'm sure some sort of guide will come out, but for some folk "... after the horse has bolted" comes to mind.

• Moderators

You would have though that with many Android tablets and smartphones in use that the userbase must be comparable to Windows by now.

Maybe Piriform should look at making documentation available a priority if they want more Android users onboard?

Looking on here people have been asking for documenation for a couple of years now.

One more interesting thing,

I also put MalwareBytes for android on the phone, and on a privacy check it informs me that as well as CCleaner being being able to access files etc., which is fair enough, CCleaner is able to monitor and even record calls?

Why would a file cleaner need to monitor/record calls?

It may be an FP, I will have to check with MB, but any comment on that from Piriform?

• Moderators

Some information here re CCleaners permissions ...

https://piriform.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204044544-Why-does-CCleaner-for-Android-require-permissions-

My A/V Sophos outlines the call permissions in this screen shot from my phone ...

post-8751-0-54179300-1487970573_thumb.jpg

I don't think it actually monitors/records calls in way of listening and recording a conversation, but simply the details of numbers used which may be tied to the delete call logs feature.

As I'm not 100% sure about the why, I'll mention your queries to the devs. I'll post any response if and when I get it, or they may respond themselves.

• Moderators

Thanks Dennis,

I also suspect that it may be the call logs,
and that Malwarebytes for Mobile is just being a bit too careful when reporting that CC could record calls.
(Reporting CC can access files should be sufficient for the call logs)

I put the same question on the Malwarebytes user forum but have not had any replies there as yet.

Just for info here is a screenshot.

post-73689-0-72471900-1488297218_thumb.png

• Moderators

Confirmed by the devs, I guessed right about the manner of and reason for call recording. Simply to do with call logs.

CCleaner has no built in facility at all to monitor or record calls in a sneaky espionage kind of way. Unlike some of these dangerously fashionable "connected" toys we're reading about.

• Moderators

Thanks Dennis,

Still no replies on Malwaerbytes forum, will put this as a link there.