monitor settings - allow for deleting of monitor types and settings for each monitor

Vollyman

This is a weird one but may be helpful. For those who run multiple monitors (I have a 4 monitor setup) you can experience your monitor settings get out of wack. What would be nice is have a detection that would do the following for each monitor:

1. Detect the monitor model

2. detect the resolution settings

3. any other information pertaining to that monitor (except the driver)

for my setup I would get from this process 4 returned items (one for each monitor). I could then delete the 2 that are giving me trouble and let windows create a new setup for me.

The reason for this is the settings get corrupted (many users report the left edge of the viewing area is off the screen) and it is about impossible short of replacing the monitors with a different brand/model to fix it. This monitor replacement method fixes it for the corrupted configuration settings are not used and a new setup configuration is created.

I hope this makes sense.

• Moderators

say what....?

we have to cleanup crap leftover from monitors?!?! :)

now I've heard it all.

you're having a laugh aren't you, or just spruiking that Enhansoft MIR program.

left hand edge disappearing....  impossible to fix without replacing the monitor.

isn't that a simple resolution/drive fix?

either way, I doubt it falls into the domain of something CC should be dealing with.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I'm completely serious. I would not waste your time otherwise.

Here are a few threads that other people talk about the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a564fffa-ebd5-4c22-8b79-623475faf342/dual-monitor-display-cutoff-on-one-monitor-nvidia-gtx280?forum=w7itproperf

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3ldsuy/pcs_external_monitor_has_its_left_edge_cut_off/

http://askubuntu.com/questions/80324/hdmi-vga-connection-cuts-borders-of-screen-or-creates-blurry-text

I've researched this a bit and through shifting how my personal monitors are connected to my rig I have concluded the issue lies with the monitor profiles getting corrupted. From what I'm reading (I believe but not 100% sure of) the monitor profiles are stored in the registry. For my setup I run 4 LG monitors. 2 of the 4 LGs are Flatron wides (21 inch). It's these two monitors that if I hook them onto my USB monitor adapters they decide to flip out and will shift the entire image to the left about 2 inches and I can't go above a certain resolution. I'm forced to run them off my main video card. When I do connect them to my main video card they work as expected. These monitors are smaller than my other 2 and the larger monitors do work on the USB adapters (at the right resolution) but for any gaming I do I have to use only low graphics settings in the game which is not desirable.

The various solutions that are suggested many times simply do not work. Reinstalling drivers for example - nope. Replacing the graphics card with a different brand - nope. They fail for the monitor profiles are still there to be used again when you hook the monitor back up to what Windows thinks is the configuration that matches that profile. I've even upgraded my OS from 7 to 10 and that didn't work for I suspect the corrupted monitor profiles were simply ported to the new OS during the OS upgrade.

This is why I'm suggesting this addition. if the monitor profiles can be deleted and then let Windows create a new profile for each monitor, the many folks who have this issue would be very happy.

• Moderators

your issue is a new one one me. I'll give you that.

I've run multiple monitors for about 10 years now and have never had 'corrupt monitor profiles' before (let alone heard of such an issue), so I now have a heads-up on that front.

Personally, I'd be looking at the USB side of things.

You mention it in your description - "if the two monitors are hooked into the USB adapters, they flip out. but when connected to the video card, they are fine".

Either investigate the USB adpater driver/config or get a video card that supports 4 screens.

And if you are running Linux then that's a whole new can of worms to deal with.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I've also been running a dual monitor setup for many many years and never had these sorts of issues so it's another thank you for the heads up on this front as I didn't know this sort of stuff could happen either.

A couple of things that may help is going into device manager and checking the "show hidden devices" item which is in the view menu,  this should show a bunch of extra "ghosted" (disconnected) monitors in the monitors section.  (You could also try deleting the "ghosted" monitors but personally I'd hold off on that).  There is also a nirsoft utility called MonitorInfoView which will show you a bunch of info about your monitors (or more accurately your monitor profiles, as old ones will show here too).  This has a bunch of info in it including which reg key pertains to which monitor setup.

Now you have tools that could help you, naturally at you're own risk and in no way endorsed by me as safe to do so, you could try deleting an old profile in device manager and seeing what happens in the registry.  i.e. investigate on the old monitor entries and then assuming you have it figured out you could try your suspected solution to the problem you get, on a live monitor by deleting the appropriate key in the registry manually.  (You will likely need to grant permissions for yourself on one of the registry subkeys to be able to do this, and if you don't know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be trying this bit).

The delete in device manager on it's own would be safe though as those entries are no longer used, and will just be recreated if needed again.  They could also be contributing to the problem if you have some very similar ones (perhaps likely in your case).  As an example I have two monitors but 10 monitor profiles on the machine (5 in total for each monitor).  Essentially there is one for each monitor in combination with each way they've ever been connected (hdmi/dvi,etc) and also to where they were connected (i.e. which graphics card/device) and in your case you'll probably have some for each usb port they've been connected to as well (as is kind of normal for anything connected via usb).  I'd actually be curious to know how many old profiles you actually do have.  But anyway maybe this is of some help.

I don't think this will become a feature though, I mean ccleaner doesn't really mess with the device manager stuff (and checking that "show hidden devices" device manager option will show you there are plenty of other old devices on the system).