DirectX version

Avak1924

I'm not sure if this topic belongs in the software section but how do I check which version of DirectX I have? Microsoft released an update but I don't know if my computer automactically installed it when I checked for updates for windows.

~Avak1924~

Okay I got to the window where it says the version number. Does someone know what is the most recent version number so I know if it needs updating?

DirectX 9.0c :)

9.0c

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Yeah I have the DirectX 9.0c. But filehippo's download says April 2006 and I don't see that on the window so I don't know if it is the most up to date version.

Ooooh!! 9.0c is Feb, so that means 9.0c is not the most recent anymore. I'm going to check it out. ;)

Ooooh!! 9.0c is Feb, so that means 9.0c is not the most recent anymore. I'm going to check it out. ;)

Okay there are many versions of 9.0c

9.0c (Feb) - last release

9.0c (April) - new release

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Okay, I downloaded the new update for DirectX but now when I'm installing it, it is asking me to extract the files but I don't know where to extract them to. Any help?

That's why after I download DX I always unpack it, and then re-pack it using an SFX module, either ZIP or RAR.

what's the point of doing that?

Probably because then all of the files automatically extract themselves to their proper places? <guess>

• Moderators

The point of me re-packing them is to automatically run the setup file DXSETUP.exe, and then have the SFX module automatically remove the temporarily unpacked setup files once DXSETUP.exe finishes. It all equals no cleanup afterwords, MS used to do it that way too for installing DX.

The point of me re-packing them is to automatically run the setup file DXSETUP.exe, and then have the SFX module automatically remove the temporarily unpacked setup files once DXSETUP.exe finishes. It all equals no cleanup afterwords, MS used to do it that way too for installing DX.

What cleanup Andavari? You lost me. :blink: "whatchya talkin' about willis"?

the current version needs you to specify where to extract the installation files. i personally put em at C:\bulls**t . then you have to run dxsetup.exe for it to install. after that, you have to uninstall the files to save HD space. that's the cleanup that he's talking about.

but as for an SFX archive, i think that M$ will do it in the final version or something.

• Moderators

after that, you have to uninstall the files to save HD space. that's the cleanup that he's talking about.

Correct! MS has done that "choose where to extract" stuff in the past and I always end up unpacking their SFX archive and deleting it in favour of my own.

• Moderators

This may shed some light on what version you have

whatdxversion.png

Edit:

You also have to begin the diagnostics, e.g.; click the next button to go to the Direct X Files (tab) to see actual installed versions. If you're being shown what you believe are the wrong versions restart Windows after the installation.