CCleaner Community Forums
hazelnut

Has anyone used OE Classic?

Here it is on the eve of 2020 and they still can't make OEC the default email program.
You have to ask what they consider a priority.

He's more interested in making you pay for an upgrade than fixing a problem. (and the upgrade still doesn't fix the problem and he knows it)

Edited by Airwolf4

- I agree, the pace of introducing new features like making the OEC the default email client program, is not very high. E.g. it took the developers a long time to add support for IMAP. But I know that OEC has only a small amount of developers at hand.

- When it comes to introducing new features (like IMAP) it's the users who use the "paid for" version who determine on what is added to the program. The more people ask for one feature the more likely it will be that that one feature will be added in a new version.

There are a lot of applications that use the "default email program" as a "send to" destination like QuickBooks and Peachtree Accounting for sending invoices. Since Outlook Express Classic is not able to do that, it is just another "also ran" email client in the business world and a lot of the personal world. So if you are looking for just another "play toy" then OEC is a good choice.

2 hours ago, Airwolf4 said:

There are a lot of applications that use the "default email program" as a "send to" destination like QuickBooks and Peachtree Accounting for sending invoices. Since Outlook Express Classic is not able to do that, it is just another "also ran" email client in the business world and a lot of the personal world. So if you are looking for just another "play toy" then OEC is a good choice.

You seem to have a bone to grind with oec, not sure why but are you being constructive at all with your critiques

Hi.

I've just started using OE Classic, however, when you send an email, it comes with a default signature, something along the lines of:

"Download OE Classic, the replacement for Outlook Express at https://oeclassic.com"

I was wondering if you know how to remove this.

- That's an advertisement and can't be removed in the Free version of OEC. If you buy the PRO version that advertisement isn't there any more. But the PRO version has some more extra features. See the website of OEC for all the details.

I keep seeing announcements of updated versions but i also notice two things

1) the updates listed seem to be repeats from previous updates and

2) the updates are mostly small stuff.  It would be better to wrap up all that small stuff in quarterly updates instead of continually hyping the product.

What would be really appreciated  would be production and usability stuff . . . like being the default email program.

Looks like priorities are out of order.

- I know the developers are still working on improving IMAP. It works but IMAP still needs more refinements.

- Although I never used the program myself, it seems that there were still A LOT OF people using Incredimail. But starting in March of 2020 IncrediMail has shut down its servers.

https://support.incredimail.com/hc/en-us/articles/230698407-Application-Crash-on-Launch

- The latest version of OEC (PRO version) released today, is now able to import messages from IncrediMail.

Has this thing been made able to be the default mail program yet ?. . . or doesn't OEClassic want to be a users "go to" mail program ?

Posted (edited)

- Users of the july 2020 version of OEC PRO should remove this version and go back to the june 10, 2020 version. There is a MAJOR annoying bug that shows up when the user is writing an email. The same bug shows up in a slightly different way in each language.

- I assume the developers are aware of this bug because the last available version for download is that june 10, 2020 version. The july 2020 version has been removed.

- Re-installing the previous version is very simple. Remove all files from "C:\Program files (x86)\OEClassic", download & install the latest available PRO version

Edited by Willy2

- From the OEC Facebook page(s), I pulled the following texts:

source: https://www.facebook.com/oeclassic

- Comment #1:

"Gmail should be Griefmail, it periodically stops OE Classic from collecting my mail so goodbye to the problem. GMX.com and Outlook.com are superior to Gmail and have never caused a fault with OE Classic collecting mail."

- OEC replied as follows:

"It is true that Gmail quality of service has dropped in the recent years. But still beats Yahoo mail (also used by ATT and Frontier as well as some others) which is one of the least reliable servers we know of (also a frequent cause of tech support questions)"

- Comment #2:

"If you use Mail for Windows 10 as a "backup" to OE Classic, be careful! If you use it in combination with Gmail, the latest update of Windows 10 can cause this application to randomly delete messages from various Gmail folders. OE Classic of course has no such issues. If you're interested in more of the issues with Windows 10 May update - we wrote a bit on that on our blog.
https://www.infobyte.hr/blog/642/windows-10-may-2020-update-v2004-is-a-disaster/"

- There is new OEC PRO version available with fixes for the bugs in the july 6, 2020 version.

Posted (edited)

It would really be nice if the OEC developers would quit fiddling around with the nickel dime stuff and make some serious improvements

. . . like being able to act as the default mail client.

. . . Give us updates with usable features . . . not new bugs.

Edited by Airwolf4