Question a little stupid but which deserves its existence !

Ezequiel

Hello all

I just want to know why ccleaner offers an option to fix the registry even though Microsoft even not recommended this use ? What's the point of watching this? You know more than anyone how deleting a registry can be harmful to the system. is it safe to use that ?

I'd like clarification on this subject ... thanks.

• Moderators

The best advice for registry I can give lives in my signature. Reg cleaning is something that should be done very carefully. That said if you know something should be removed (say an application you uninstalled) it's perfectly safe

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

reg cleaning is at its most basic, a form of reg tweaking, and sometimes (just sometimes), reg cleaning does help.

CC has many potentially dangerous functions above and beyond its fundamental crap cleaning origins; reg cleaning, duplicate file removal, drive wiping, uninstalling...

the caveat is always - user beware, and have a recent backup handy!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Well, I had never encountered problems with ccleaner. But all the time I spend with the internet, now I realize how much it can be a disaster to clean registry. I'm a ccleaner fan that I even buy the pro version for easier tasks. So I would like to know if it's possible, before clearing my registry, send you a screenshot to analyze what I can clean or not without constraint. Thank you

• Moderators

if it's possible, before clearing my registry, send you a screenshot to analyze what I can clean or not without constraint. Thank you
Not really, this would have to be something you do yourself. While that means you would, hopefully, be removing less, choosing only the few things you knew were unneeded, you're the only one who knows what's still on your computer.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

In many years of using the Ccleaner registry clean-up option on many computers each week, with the backup of the registry chosen "just in case", I (and other heavy PC users I know) have never once encountered a problem from accepting the registry clean-up option. I've never had to call on that backup. It seems the clean-up is quite gentle and avoids damaging actions. So I have complete confidence that the pitfalls have been thought through and anticipated by Piriforms programmers, and the dangers avoided. If problems were arising often, after some 2 billion+ downloads, surely the world would have been warned to avoid the product long ago. As we see, the very opposite is the case - Ccleaner is the top contender in its chosen field. ^_^

• Moderators

Yes, as reg cleaners go, ccleaner is very gentle, blind trust is still not advisable.

• Moderators

If problems were arising often, after some 2 billion+ downloads, surely the world would have been warned to avoid the product long ago. As we see, the very opposite is the case - Ccleaner is the top contender in its chosen field. ^_^

you're assuming here that all the downloads are then used to also clean the registry. :)

I've only ever had what I can only half-heartedly link two PC 'issues' to being registry related and therefore maybe CC reg cleaning caused.

neither broke the PC or caused Windows to behave wrongly, it doesn't didn't behave like it should have.

and that's the caveat with any reg cleaning, if it isn't a pie-in-the-eye sort of straight-up error, it's more the cunning, underlying, small tweak that gets you 3 months down the track when you then can't remember what that reg key was that you eliminated.

and the overwhelming reasoning to not reg clean is there is simple too little to be gained and too much put at risk for that small gain.

I advise reg cleaning should only be used as a last resort and only when a know problem hasn't been able to be resolved by other channels.

I've seen no benefit in running it as part of your regular maintenance schedule.

but each to his own, that is however why they are called Personal Computers.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.