After running ccleaner - PC does not switch off

Mark

Hi All,

After running ccleaner v1.28.277 my Windows 2000 PC does not switch off when I shut it down.

The shutdown starts off as normal and the screen goes blank but the PC does not power off. Pressing

Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect. This used to work fine.

I have Windows 2000 SP4, and I keep my virus checker up to date so I don't think it's malware causing

this trouble.

Please help!

Mark

Hi All,

After running ccleaner v1.28.277 my Windows 2000 PC does not switch off when I shut it down.

The shutdown starts off as normal and the screen goes blank but the PC does not power off. Pressing

Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect. This used to work fine.

I have Windows 2000 SP4, and I keep my virus checker up to date so I don't think it's malware causing

this trouble.

Please help!

Mark

Hey Mark, sorry about your problem. Can you get into Windows?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hey Mark, sorry about your problem. Can you get into Windows?

Normally yes. However, today when I first switched on the PC I got a BSOD with the error:

0x0000001E (0xC0000005,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

strangely there's no module/address information, nothing in the event log and no MEMORY.DMP file

created.

When I hit the reset button it booted OK, but I am a bit worried, normally my system is 100% stable.

I'll try to switch it off again now and see what happens.

Mark

I'm getting worried about you dude. It's been 2 hours since you said that you were going to reboot. Can you not get back in or something?

If you do get back into Windows don't shut your computer down again.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

How to Troubleshoot a STOP 0x0000001E KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Error Message

1. Try to replace the driver that is identified in the STOP error message, either with a known good copy from your installation media, or with an updated version from the manufacturer.

2. Disable the driver that is identified in the STOP error message or any newly installed drivers.

3. Verify that any new hardware or software is properly installed. Disconnect the new hardware or replace it to see if this resolves the issue.

4. If you have a video driver that was not supplied with the operating system, try switching to the standard VGA driver or a driver that is compatible with the operating system.

5. View the following Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List Web site to verify that all your hardware and drivers are compatible with the operating system: MS HCL

6. Run any system diagnostics that are supplied by your computer manufacturer, especially a RAM check. If this is a new installation of the hardware or software, contact the manufacturer for any requires updates for drivers or firmware.

7. Disable all filter drivers, such as remote control software, antivirus programs, backup programs, and so on.

Read More Here

I'm getting worried about you dude. It's been 2 hours since you said that you were going to reboot. Can you not get back in or something?

If you do get back into Windows don't shut your computer down again.

Sorry to worry you. It shutdown OK after I posted. Then I had to do some other stuff and haven't had a chance to try the PC again until today. It is working OK at present :-)

Mark