Registry cleaning, it is ok to use?

TheOwner

I am using CCleaner many years and i always used registry cleaner to fix all issues. But i read on the internet all registry cleaners are bad and can damage system. I have never had any problem, so what is true about this? Do you use this cleaner for fix everything registry issues it finds like me? Or i should stop using this feature anymore? Do you notice any problem after using this? I have Win 7 64 bit. Thanks

• Moderators

This best advice I can give for registry cleaning is in my signature.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Honestly, I never got it either. But, if you clean judiciously, it's perfectly safe.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

You never used registry cleaning or what you think? I think there is no benefit clean registry, only risk. I didn't know that in past. My mistake. But PC run just fine even cleaned by CCleaner.

Basically use it at your own risk. I like you have used ccleaner's registry cleaner for years without running into any issues but it's best to check what you are deleting and do backups, that way if anything does go wrong you should be okay.

Basically use it at your own risk. I like you have used ccleaner's registry cleaner for years without running into any issues but it's best to check what you are deleting and do backups, that way if anything does go wrong you should be okay.

Yes i do backups, but i don't know which key is safe delete and which no. Most time after windows update, CCleaner finds missing shared DLL's to NET.Framework. It is safe to delete? Any issue not apperar after delete those keys. Thanks

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, lemustagus said:

Sorry for the necropost, but, in my experience, registry cleaning can make the PC work slower in the future, but it won't break it.

oh it can break it, it can break it big time, like won't get past booting big time

• Moderators

It can break the registry in Windows 10, mostly due to Windows 10 being a constantly changing moving target. Older OSes like Windows XP I've no issue using it, but I do have a large exclusion list.