Symbols switched on Windows keyboard - help..?!

cazboy

Hello, I'm not sure if this belongs in the hardware section or the software section. Anyway, I ran into a very peculiar problem recently at my wife's office. Her computer runs just fine except the keyboard has a strange problem. The  @  and the " are switched! Not the physical keys, but the result of pressing the keys. When you press the @ symbol, what appears on the monitor is ". And the opposite is true, too.... when you press the " symbol, what appears on the monitor is the @.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the @ symbol, directly over the "2" key on the upper row. And the " symbol, directly to the left of the "enter" key.

At first I thought it was a problem with the keyboard, so I just changed out the keyboard for a new one - but the same problem remains. So it can't be the keyboard - it's something in the computer.

The computer in question is running Windows 7 Professional with all updates.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I've looked at the keyboard dialog box in Control Panel but I don't see anything to try.

Thanks in advance.

Hazelnut, thanks - I'll bet that has something to do with it. Unfortunately I'm not at the computer in question, so I'll have to wait until I go back to my wife's workplace. I will give it a look and report back here.

Thanks again!

• Moderators

guarantee that is the cause, the PC is using a UK keyboard and changing your Region in Control Panel to your location will fix it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Good news - as predicted, you were correct. The keyboard was set to UK! That was a simple solution...thank you gents!