Windows Defender

Canary

I have an alert sign on top of the Windows Defender icon in the system tray. And when I open Windows Defender, it says "Windows Defender definitions haven't been updated in 69 days".

So I click on "Check for updates", and I get a message in a bubble saying "Windows Defender is connecting to the internet to acquire new definitions and engine upgrades".

It then says that "Windows Defender is up to date with definitions and engine upgrades" . . . but the original message saying that definitions haven't been updated and the alert sign in the system tray don't go away.

Any ideas?

I had the exact same problem and this worked for me:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Remove the current signature file. To do this, click Start, click Run, type Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}, and then click OK.

2. Open Windows Defender. To do this, click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Defender.

3. Check for new definitions. To do this, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates.

This info is from support.microsoft.com.

Hope it solves you problem as well.

I don't know if this is related, but it seems that since I did this Defender runs silently, ie no icon in the tray when it runs. I found that I could see what was going on by opening Defender from the program list. A little bit annoying but not nearly as aggravating as the can't update issue :P .

Hi Mike: I ran Step 1 OK, but this seemed to uninstall Windows Defender.

So when I got to Step 2, there was no Windows Defender in the program list.

pwillener: I'm not sure what Event Viewer is.

Hang on - hold your fire! It's worked, but in a slightly different way from how it worked for you.

Like I said, there was no Windows Defender in the program list, but the icon (and the warning sign) was still in the system tray after I carried out Step 1. I opened Windows Defender via that icon, and this time the update worked. And the icon with its warning sign has disappeared at last. Thanks!

One minor issue, though - now that I have no icon or Windows Defender option in the program list, how do I run it?

This version of Windows Defender does not show a systray icon; however so many people complained that the next version will have it back there.

Until then use Start, Programs, Windows Defender.

If you want a shortcut on your desktop, right-click on that icon (Start, Programs, Windows Defender) and copy it to the desktop.

Hi.

Yes, I can do that, but when I use that shortcut it just takes me to a bunch of files within the Defender folder. I was rather hoping I could just have an icon I could click on to run the Windows Defender scan.

• Moderators

Hi.

Yes, I can do that, but when I use that shortcut it just takes me to a bunch of files within the Defender folder. I was rather hoping I could just have an icon I could click on to run the Windows Defender scan.

Here's how to create a Windows Defender desktop shortcut (assuming you've installed into the default location):

1. Right click upon the desktop and select New->Shortcut

2. Paste this command into the location field:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"

3. Name the shortcut: Windows Defender

That's great Canary! Glad I (and pwillener, hazelnut, and Andavari) could help. Thanks for letting us know you got it working :) !

pwillener: I'm not sure what Event Viewer is.

Event Viewer is in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer.

It lists errors, alerts, etc. during your PC's operation. It can be very handy and can warn you of problems as they occur or before they become a major issue. It also lists general information from various programs and services including Windows Defender. It uses symbols to advise you of the severity of the issue. I made a shortcut to my desktop and check it daily and then clear the events to keep the list short and easy to read.

Double-click on an item in the list in the left hand pane to see the events in that section. Right-click for a list of options.

Double-click on an item in the event list for more info on the event and for a link to MS for more details and recommendations.

Be forewarned, if you haven't used it yet your list will be huge :o !

cc0011yl.th.jpg

I've looked at Event Viewer and you're right - the list is huge! Thanks - that's really interesting.

I'll be totally honest, though, and admit that it means nothing to me. What should I do with all that information, and is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Look for the red X errors and double click on it to see what happened.

The yellow ! are information errors and are not serious.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

I've looked at Event Viewer and you're right - the list is huge! Thanks - that's really interesting.

I'll be totally honest, though, and admit that it means nothing to me. What should I do with all that information, and is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Look for the date & time when the WD error occurred; you should find one or two entries in there that gives you an eight-digit hexadecimal error code. This error code identifies the exact reason what was causing the problem, and possibly also a resolution from the Microsoft Knowledge Base.