Firefox 53 will drop support for XP/Vista

ROCKNROLL

Hello.

In case no one has heard yet, Firefox will be dropping support for XP and Vista in Firefox 53.

But what, there's more!

Firefox 52 will have moved to ESR, so you have an extra ~ 6 months to still get security updates and bug fixes, but no more new features will be provided, once 52 moves to ESR.

But what, there's more!

Mozilla will be putting a block on Firefox 53 and up to prevent users from XP and Vista from installing the newer builds. I guess this is done to prevent compatibility issues.

But what, there's more!

You can read more information here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox-53-will-drop-support-for-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-508688.shtml

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

I'm happy to say I resigned long before they sacked me.

Gave up on Firefox itself many versions ago.

What are you using, dennis?  I use an old version of Firefox, thought I would just keep doing that.  ??

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

A few days ago I was wondering how long does Firefox have on XP, now I have the answer. Although I never plan on having Win10 as an OS simply because I don't like it, might just give up on PCs altogether when sites won't allow an XP system to view them.

SeaMonkey updates on XP. (using it as I type this)

SeaMonkey uses the Gecko engine, which is the same engine Firefox uses. SeaMoney is also a slower moving browser compared to other browsers, so it will probably have XP support for a longer time, but even that will eventually drop support.

• Moderators

SeaMoney is also a slower moving browser compared to other browsers, so it will probably have XP support for a longer time, but even that will eventually drop support.

My XP machine will probably have died by then  :lol: 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

When Firefox changed the way it did things by running separate plug in containers, it succeeded in permanently maxing out my CPU. My XP machine was virtually unusable, and that was just FF by itself with no add-ons or extensions of any kind.

The idea  may have been good, but it brought my machine almost to a standstill.

And I don't blame my computer as firstly everything else runs just fine, and I've tried a few different browsers. And secondly there were more than me experiencing and complaining about high CPU usage.

I have an older version of Opera for the same reason, change wasn't an improvement. I run Opera 12.16 and it runs like a thoroughbred race horse, whereas the new Opera impersonator runs like a ... well, it doesn't run, it walks, very slowly.

My main browser is Pale Moon Version: 26.5.0 (Atom/WinXP), which although I don't have an Atom processor, still runs like a dream. And it doesn't update every couple of hours like it's mainstream cousin.

Updates are regular but sensible, and importantly, my Winstripe Modern theme works with it.

These builds are specifically optimized for Intel Atom™ processors, and are not recommended for regular Intel or AMD processors on current operating systems (Vista or higher). The extra optimizations only work on Atom processors and will execute a little slower than the normal version of Pale Moon on a non-Atom processor (but otherwise run just fine). In general use, though, you will likely not notice much (if any) difference if run on a non-Atom processor.

These builds are otherwise exactly the same as the normal desktop version of Pale Moon, built from a specialized branch of the same source code. Apart from Windows XP compatibility and small technical and aesthetic changes, no other changes are made to the browser core.

I also keep an old version of Firefox, version 24 ESR.

I stopped at version 24 because versions after that have been changed is some way that messes up my much loved and long time used theme mentioned above.

And as a simple note of interest, I run with  Sandboxie and occasionally with Returnil virtualisation. Both older versions.

Old operating system, old browsers, old virtualisation software, and no interference from microsoft. Does it get any better.  :)

I've had zero worries or concerns about security since MS stopped supporting XP (probably a good thing), and the same zero worries about old software, and completely ignored the "Update your operating system NOW!!" scaremongering. My machine is as clean now as it was when MS were occasionally screwing it up with security updates.

Not wishing to brag but I could go out tomorrow and buy myself a cool desktop and probably a cool laptop to go with it, but I've absolutely no wish to move away from this still perfect XP machine and once again get into the world of Microsoft and it's never ending search for control.

Ah yes, I've even deleted all the MS HotFix Uninstallers.

I'm free!!!

Finally, I've stuck my moderator head on and I'm slapping myself on the wrist for wandering slightly off topic and having a rant, but you can't beat a good rant.

:)

EDIT: Almost forgot, the above isn't a recommendation for others to follow, as each to your own and make your own mind up as to whether you know enough about keeping your computer safe to not go along with the flow. But it's food for thought for those that do.

Yep.  Agree w/ post 10. 

One slight addition, though, I am presently working towards "freezing" win 7 in place, just as we have done with win xp. Simply because microsoft's "partners" will eventually render win xp unusable.  When that happens finally to win 7, I'll become a total Linuxite,    :)

I tried Palemoon, Opera 12.17, and Sea Monkey in the past, something was a little glitchy, don't remember what, but will try again now soon eventually.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

@Dennis

Great rant/comments.

It's a fast changing tech world with big events almost daily. Some folk seem happy to surrender to the BIG BORG saying it makes their lives easier to have everything at hand and 'cared for' and 'watched over'

Other will protect their individuality and personal life as much as they can (or are allowed to)

Browsers, in order to keep the cash coming in, have to up the anti in the security stakes, graphics and advertisments which means older operating systems getting dropped.

I could never get to grips with Firefox on XP, but SeaMonkey speeds along here.  But Opera (Presto version)... well that was a browser in a class of its own.

At least we are able to discuss things about this here.... some folk don't even know or care that it is happening.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You bet'cha, Hazelnut.  Great to be able to discuss such matters. 

Fwiw, this xp box has 4 gb RAM, 3.31 gb usable.  Firefox 48.0.1 portable taxes it heavily.  Runs in Sandboxie. 

So it will be great to try other, lighter browsers.  :)

• Moderators

The point Dennis makes about Firefox maxing out his PC was what caused me to buy more RAM two years ago (although the OS can only use 2.5GB of the 4GB of RAM I have installed). Firefox isn't the only browser that needs allot of memory to run it's also Chrome/Chromium.

One thing though is Firefox while still a bit of a memory hog does run very smooth on my system with the most recent versions which will make it sad to see no more XP support.

So it will be great to try other, lighter browsers.  :)

Have you tried Firefox Light? It is a fork of Firefox, but slimmed down to be smaller and use less memory. Check it out here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lightfirefox/

Nope, haven't tried it yet, but I will.  Thanks.  Right now there is a huge backlog of "browsers to try".   :)