Windows Programs

dan_master

No, you should always use proper uninstall procedures to remove any programs. Ccleaner is not an uninstaller.

Of course Windows components cannot be uninstalled easily. There are ways to uninstall Internet Explorer, but then you lose the ability to run WindowsUpdate and OfficeUpdate.

• Moderators

You can remove Paint from Windows components via (WinXP instructions):

Add or Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components -> highlight Accessories and Utilities then click Details -> highlight Accessories then click Details and finally untick Paint and click OK.

To remove Internet Explorer you'd have to use something like XPLite, I don't know of any other program that removes it. Hopefully englishmen who's a member on the forums will see this post and recommend what he did, as he got rid of Internet Explorer, but I don't know if he used a commercial program or a freeware one.

you can further remove Windows Programs by:

browsing C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf

but before that you need to allow hidden files to be displayed...

backup the sysoc.inf file... then open it using notepad, do a search for the word "hide" without the quotes and delete it... make sure "match case" option is not checked... when every "hide" are deleted, then save it...

now go to "Add or Remove Programs" -> "Add/Remove Windows Components", you will see extra things that can be remove... but be warned!!! do not remove anything that you are not sure of!!!

that's all... you can restore the backup copy of the sysoc.inf back to C:\WINDOWS\inf

--==aGumon==--

to kick IE permanently out of your system you definately need a registry-searcher like Regseeker, cause those IE-entries are spread all over the registry.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/dl/en/RegSeeker.zip

Windows won?t allow to kick all IE-reg-entries out, a few (10-12) will be reestablished after rebooting your system.

!!!Important!!!

some applications, using the IE-interface like Diskeeper Lite, won?t start anymore. Same refers to online-apps. taking advantage of the active-x access controls, like online virus-scanners or banking access.

before killing IE do an image.

Oliver

to kick IE permanently out of your system you definately need a registry-searcher like Regseeker, cause those IE-entries are spread all over the registry.

http://www.hoverdesk.net/dl/en/RegSeeker.zip

Windows won?t allow to kick all IE-reg-entries out, a few (10-12) will be reestablished after rebooting your system.

!!!Important!!!

some applications, using the IE-interface like Diskeeper Lite, won?t start anymore. Same refers to online-apps. taking advantage of the active-x access controls, like online virus-scanners or banking access.

before killing IE do an image.

Oliver

Can you help me, i installed microsoft Explorer 7 Beta 2 March virsion, over Explorer 6, i ran CCleaner with hotfix unistallers ticked, now i can not unistall Explorer 7 Beta 2, back to Explorer 6. even with the updates box ticked, will i have to format my hard drive to get Explorer 6 back on, got Win XP pro

Can you help me, i installed microsoft Explorer 7 Beta 2 March virsion, over Explorer 6, i ran CCleaner with hotfix unistallers ticked, now i can not unistall Explorer 7 Beta 2, back to Explorer 6. even with the updates box ticked, will i have to format my hard drive to get Explorer 6 back on, got Win XP pro

This has been warned about in several other posts in this forum. If you delete hotfix uninstallers, you will not be able to uninstall any of them, including Windows XP SP2 and IE7 beta.

You either have to go on with IE7 (which seems to be pretty stable, from what I've heard), or reinstall Windows. You could try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, but I doubt that this will give you full recovery.

General tip: when installing beta software, you are basically at risk, and you are at your own.